38 ZR vs. Cigarette 36 Gladiator

Notices

38 ZR vs. Cigarette 36 Gladiator

Old 09-23-2008, 08:01 PM
Registered

Received 993 Likes on 527 Posts

Originally Posted by NASCAT
Doc,

What does one have to spend to become the proud owner of a comparably equipped 700/NXT Donzi?
325K all day long........
Old 09-23-2008, 09:39 PM
Charter Member #34
Charter Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by NASCAT
Doc,

What does one have to spend to become the proud owner of a comparably equipped 700/NXT Donzi?
Their asking price equiped the way the orange boat is was $399K.

Lots of nice options that Craig built into this boat including paint "PPG Oh So Orange", upholstery, electric front foot rest for both front passengers, forced air system for front passengers both at your feet and mid body (very effective), dual helm, dual gauges, Head set communications, etc.

If you can get this setup for $325K you are getting a real deal in my opinion.
Old 09-24-2008, 01:41 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have seen the orange boat at the LOTO shootout and all doc's pictures dont do this justice, that thing is truelly awsome, the paint changes shades as you walk around it breath taking is all I can say if you haven't seen it in person. Steve
Old 09-24-2008, 07:57 AM
Charter Member #34
Charter Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by osur866
I have seen the orange boat at the LOTO shootout and all doc's pictures dont do this justice, that thing is truelly awsome, the paint changes shades as you walk around it breath taking is all I can say if you haven't seen it in person. Steve
Steve you are 100% correct it is hard to photograph but BEAUTIFUL in person and when the sun is shining.

People were all over this boat because of the paint and the interior. She is a real looker and a quality product.

Here are a couple of more pictures that may demonstrate the change in color a little better.

The key thing however is the performance. From 40 MPH to 80 MPH seems instantaneous. The boat was the most stable vee hull I have ever ridden in and that includes all the Baja's, Fountain from 29 to 42 ft, Sonic and a 36 Apache. I keep trying to figure that out and I come back to the fact that you are sitting and the center of gravity is lower. I would switch from a stand up boat to this in a heart beat.

Craig calls it a "HOT ROD" and I agree.

Let me tell you how much I like this paint. I'm building a custom Harley Street Glide and I have a complete paint set up at Kustom Kolors right now. We have the design worked out I wanted some orange with the pearl white we wre using. I called Clayton the instant I saw this boat and told him I have the color. He laughed because he had already suggested this because they used it on the Baja 40 outlaw poker run boat about three years back.
Attached Thumbnails 38 ZR vs. Cigarette 36 Gladiator-pra-september-2008-016.jpg   38 ZR vs. Cigarette 36 Gladiator-pra-september-2008-237.jpg   38 ZR vs. Cigarette 36 Gladiator-pra-september-2008-234.jpg  

Old 09-24-2008, 08:43 AM
Registered

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Thanks for the pricing info.

Since I've owned 2 cats & the seated helm I really have no interest in a stanup bolster Vee. It's not that i don't like Vees just that ones seated Vee choices are extremely limited.

IMO the Gladiators lines are simply sexiest, the Fountain 42PR has a very agressive all business cockpit which I also like & the Donzi seems to be the most well rounded of them all including the fact that i noticed they offered a half cabin which is a major + storage wise. Lack of storage is my least favorite thing about my Skater.
Old 09-24-2008, 09:02 AM
Registered

Question

Originally Posted by IM4A2Z
What is the weight of the older ZRC's? the current models show to weigh in at a hefty 8700 lbs

The Gladiator's spec sheet shows 7800 lbs
No one knows?
Old 09-24-2008, 09:31 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 85 Likes on 32 Posts

The only weights I can find are the 8700 lbs. That number is the "displacement" weight and not the "dry" weight. I am not quite sure what the difference is (with/without fluids, in water, out of water, etc.).
Old 09-24-2008, 10:13 PM
Registered

Doc, those last 3 photos are as close as it gets to seeing it in person, wish I could have gotten a ride in it myself, I don't think theres a better sit down vee on the market that would be as nice in over all performance, looks and fit & finish as this. thanks for more photos Steve
Old 09-25-2008, 02:30 PM

Originally Posted by ktron
I know you have been in both boats and I have only had experience with the Gladiator but I think they are a little closer in physical attributes than stated. The Glad is actually 36'11" while the ZRC is 38'1" a difference of slightly over a foot and the ZRC is only 2" wider. I am just saying they are very close. I think they are pretty close in performance too. I have logged a lot of seat time in a Gladiator and have not noticed any chinewalking issues and I think the boat is very stable at 100+. I do agree the ZRC's are faster with their new 5 step bottom and from what I hear are an AWESOME boat. I know they have won countless races and championships as well. I think that Donzi has done an awesome job of supporting and promoting racing. I do think at the same time Cig has focused more of their efforts away from racing resulting in a lot less Cig's competing. I think both boats are incredible rides and very close whether its ride, handling, or performance. The ZRC maybe a little better overall package but I think it is very close.

I think it is all preference. You cannot lose with either ride.

just my .02
Don't get me wrong I love the Gladiator, Cigarette is top notch in making a boat sexy and solid with a great fit and finish.
I ran a 2003 Gladiator with 525s staggered in a Poker Run, I felt very uneasy, when she got in the wash of other boats she was all over the place and at 90 felt like she was getting out of control. The open cockpit with no windshield was not a favorite to me either "You need Goggles" and the throttles being slightly behind your arms felt a little unatural, I like throttles next to me or slightly foward. I have ran in Gladiators that run 110 and when your alone with no other boats it is a blast.
The Donzi ZRC was really thought out well, I have been in several Poker Runs with one including Tom A in Sarasota. You just feel glued to the seat the canopies are definetly a plus and she just handles un-real, I ran the 700 ZRC in Sarasota Poker Run 2 years ago and thats what really made a believer out of me running in the Gulf with 3-5s at 100+ Mph was a ride I will never forget Gene from Donzi on the sticks and me at the wheel, There were not to many boats that were catching us in the Gulf that year
Attached Thumbnails 38 ZR vs. Cigarette 36 Gladiator-2007-getting-air-2.jpg  
Old 09-25-2008, 04:12 PM
Registered

What sort of GPS speeds are the 525 ZRC's running?

Quick Reply: 38 ZR vs. Cigarette 36 Gladiator

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.