Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Owners Forum > Donzi
LE Blackhawk Questions (Out Drive/ Prop Combos) >

LE Blackhawk Questions (Out Drive/ Prop Combos)

Notices

LE Blackhawk Questions (Out Drive/ Prop Combos)

Old 07-02-2009, 09:55 PM
Registered

Received 170 Likes on 76 Posts
Default LE Blackhawk Questions (Out Drive/ Prop Combos)

We have a Limited Edition 22' Blackhawk that we just did some repairs on. It was not going last summer due to laziness and having other boats to play with but we wanted it and the Formula to be able to be in at the same time on the 4th for once since the Formula is home in Indianapolis for the summer.

Anyways we have 4 blackhawk drives and multiple sets of 31 and 29 props. We have two 1.50 drives that are both currently blown and we need to fix them. We also have a 1.36 and a 1.65. We put the 1.36 on tonight with 31's and it was a very bad combo. Boat would be 100% throttle and trimmed in and would max at 2800 RPM. Top speed was about 45-50. Once I would try and trim up or bring the tabs up, it porpoised worse than ever and it was not controlable. I have a lot of experience and seat time with this boat and I know it can be a pain and porpoise alot but I have always been able to push through and get it to run great. This is obviously just a bad combo of drive/ props. Also it would idle at about 12mph atleast and throw a huge wake and die out nearly every switch in and out of neutral. I want the boat for the 4th so right now my only real option is to swap the 29s on since I can do that down on the lift on my dock. What is the best set up for this boat? I know we just need to get the 1.50 drives back in service since we had the boat best running with them. Last time the boat was in we had the 1.65 on and it ran fine and topped out well but just took FOREVER to plane out, esp with multiple people on board. The 1.50 and 31s is the only time we have seen 80+ (Boat has a bit over 500hp). Will the 29s make it that much better with the 1.36 drive? Any advice? We would like to half way be able to keep up with the formula and get some fun races in this weekend
Old 07-03-2009, 04:30 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The 29's will help a tad, but you need to fix the 1.5 drive asap...
Old 07-03-2009, 11:34 PM
Registered

Thats what I figured. Thanks

Are the 1.36 and 1.65 drives pretty much worthless on this boat? What about with 27ps? I was looking into getting a set
Old 07-04-2009, 10:53 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

put a bravo 1.50 on till you get the blackhawk fixed you will also find that the boat is more user friendly and you will only lose about 7 mph
Old 07-07-2009, 07:21 AM
Registered

We do have several spare Bravo XR's. But we ran with the 29's this weekend and it didnt do too bad. Ran low to mid 70s with more trim to go, just gets too scary with this setup. I have a sweet video of the Formula passing us on our run home from cocktail cove. Will have to post it. This setup's main problem was planing out with 5 people
Old 07-09-2009, 09:19 PM
Registered

Received 50 Likes on 26 Posts

You should get on the Donzi registry and post (donzi.net). plenty of very experienced Blackhawk 22 owners there.
Old 07-16-2009, 04:32 PM
Registered

i have a 22 daytona black hawk 1:50 with 27p runing just under 100mph with dynoed 560hp an i am looking for a set of 29 are you selling any props i think 29s might get me into low 100s that drive is realy only good on small cats but i idle way to fast two an took forever to get iac dailed so it wouldnt stall but nature of the beast when they are set up on the right boat they fly with low hp but always a dog getting up on plain
Old 07-17-2009, 05:19 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The 22/Hawk combo is a handful at speed. Once mastered, it is an exciting boat to run, though it will demand your full attention, and if you waver it will QUICKLY remind you who is really in charge.
Old 07-18-2009, 08:02 PM
Registered

i hear that that boat has put me in check a few times an no one will under stand till they drive one over 70mph rang you realy need to know how to drive it cause be for you know it forks an blue sky is all your seeing then getting punched by the old lady