bought a 38zx, need help from 33,38zx owners >

bought a 38zx, need help from 33,38zx owners

Notices

bought a 38zx, need help from 33,38zx owners

Old 05-27-2011, 07:21 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default bought a 38zx, need help from 33,38zx owners

so i just picked up a new boat and the biggest issue i see is the rear cleats. How do you guys tie up to other boats without cracking the engine vents. When they put the cleats on this boat in the rear i dont think the guys where thinking. Input would be great.

Anyways its a 01, with twin 500efi's

Old 05-27-2011, 08:05 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 85 Likes on 32 Posts

First off, congrats on the boat! It is a great blend of true performance boat with cruiser type room.
As for the rear cleats, that is tough. My friend had a 33zx and it had the same type of problem. They actually hold up well to downward pressure, you have to be real careful not to let the rope slip between the vent and the hull. If the line gets pulled and it is between, it will break off the corner of the vent.
Carry a couple small towels with you that you can fill the vent gaps with while tied up. That would be my suggestion.
Old 05-27-2011, 12:59 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by prostock3
so i just picked up a new boat and the biggest issue i see is the rear cleats. How do you guys tie up to other boats without cracking the engine vents. When they put the cleats on this boat in the rear i dont think the guys where thinking. Input would be great.

Anyways its a 01, with twin 500efi's

We never use rear cleats to tie up, only the side rear cleats because of this problem. We had to also remove the exisiting smaller side rear cleats and put in larger ones on both sides so we could tie up and raft off.
Old 05-27-2011, 01:45 PM
Registered

there is only one side cleat on the boat and its in the middle.
do you have a pic?
Old 05-27-2011, 03:54 PM
Registered

Received 50 Likes on 26 Posts

On bigger boats it is appropriate to use the far cleat on the rear, not the close one. Are you using that far one, or the close one to the dock?

If you use the far one tied back away from the boat, the center as a spring line(s) depending on wind to keep the boat stationary, you shouldn't have a problem.
Old 05-27-2011, 10:55 PM
Registered

My solution is to tie up to a larger boat (cruiser) so the line cant' get under the side vent cover.
Old 05-28-2011, 07:23 AM
Registered

Congrats on your new ride, she's BEAUTIFUL!!!!!! If you have push-in cleats to hold your fenders, and you at least 12-14"(diameter) fenders, you shouldn't have too much of a problem with your rear air intakes. Good luck,

tom
Old 06-01-2011, 01:39 PM
Registered

I will take a pic of mine and forward it to you.
Old 06-01-2011, 01:53 PM
Registered

bought a 38zx, need help from 33,38zx owners-dsc00022.jpg

You can see it on the rear port side, under the letter D, located and centered between the 2 canvas snaps
Old 06-01-2011, 10:37 PM
Registered

Understood. Couple of possibilities: go from your rear cleat to the boat next to you, then back to your center cleat (a Florida springer), option two is to run a line from your lifting eye under the swim platform around the corner of your transom up to your neighbors cleat, then to your center cleat (Florida springer again). Ultimately, install pop up cleats in the blue part on each side of the swim platform. Good luck, She's Beautiful!

Were you able to sell your 28zx or did you trade it?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.