2004 28 zxo >

2004 28 zxo

Notices

2004 28 zxo

Old 05-31-2017, 07:42 AM
Registered
VIP Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I know I'm very new into my boat but have thought when it is time to "freshen" the 350's to bump them to 383's and gain more hp. Any reason you could build them to a reliable 400hp?
Old 05-31-2017, 02:17 PM
Registered

Received 44 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by MullenTJ86
I would highly recommend the whipples if you have extra $$$ around and need to stay in a 28' boat, but if you're looking to make your 28zx run 90+, spend your money on a bigger boat. I don't think I'm the only owner of a whippled scorpion, but I can tell you that pushing the 28zx (twin step) over 80 becomes a handful and not something easily done. The claim that the 377's whippled can break 100, not sure who threw it out there, but I have only been able to push mine to 84 with 5psi of boost. I'm sure I could get a few more mph out of her but there's never calm enough water with long enough runs to get her there. And I'm sure a tune could help get more power too, but again, it comes back to the hull and IMO a 28'zx isn't made to go above 80. She can run all day in the mid 70's, but if you want 80+...look at the 35ZR. That's where I am at now.
Assuming you are running a 28 ZX and not a ZXO something is wrong. Bone stock some of them ran 83. All of them ran at least 78-79 bone stock and the general rule of thumb number is 80+- 1. You should be in the upper 80's / low 90's with that kind of power. The scorpion that runs 105 had whipples double overdriven, custom props, and some drive work. I seem to remember water pickups on the transom too so the drives might have been shortened. Original owner claimed 650HP a side, current owner claims 550 so he might have swapped back to the regular pulleys

I will say the hull does not like stern lift. If you are running Bravo 1 props or something else with 4 blades that hasn't been labbed for bow lift I could see your concern with stability. I'd think you would want something like 29" Mirage Plus props with your setup
Old 05-31-2017, 04:19 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This all sounds like the boat I currently own. Seller and prior seller to him claimed 550hp aside, has custom Throttle Up props (5 Blades) and water pick ups on the transom. I've been told by the sellers that it needs a lot of trim to get into the 90's, which may be the case, but again....hull chime walks in the high 70's and can't handle any kind of wake or chop once in the 80's. I've thought about adding headers to it, but IMO, any additional added performance is a waste of money because we never take the boat up to those speeds. Bone stock scorpions hit 80-81 and that was w/ideal conditions all around, no added aftermarket parts.
Old 05-31-2017, 08:44 PM
Registered

Red boat? Solid in the rear and fading forward to light red? For sale @ 50k ish? There are numerous people that have confirmed low 100s in that boat!

was for sale a few years back, owner then said 650 hp, double overdrive whipples. I'll try to find a link to the old ad

I'm wondering if something is wrong with the props or it ran 105 on a different set... or if the boost/setup was changed to preserve the owners underwear
Old 05-31-2017, 09:07 PM
Registered

That's the boat. Was in NY for a while and then Maine. Got her in Maine back in Oct 2015. I heard the boost was dialed down a bit, from 8lbs or so, but I still doubt she'd make 100 with that much. Best I heard from prior owners was 93, other said mid 80's.

And the props were specially rigged for the boat, I've ran Bravo 28's, 30's and labbed 30's and they don't get near the performance as the Throttle Ups.
Old 06-01-2017, 10:16 PM
Registered

Bravo 1 props with this hull are great for cruising, horrible for top end. Mirage plus is what Donzi set it up for. Dr. Dan from donzi.net might know the original owner to get some specs. I have to wonder if it ran fast on big inch M+ but the wheels you have now aready better all around

​​​​
Old 06-01-2017, 10:27 PM
Registered

Yeah the Bravo's run okay, but got nothing great out of them. I was told the Throttle Up props were custom tailored for this boat with the current power setup and cost $5k. Of all the prop testing I've done, they are the easiest to plane (5 blades), best cruising and best top end, very satisfied with them.

I'm not trying to burst anyones bubble here when I knock the 100...I thought I was buying a 100mph boat when I bought it, only to find out that it barely hit 80 (like every other scorpion). I'm sure with the right amount of tuning and work, the boat might reach 100, but as it currently sits....maybe high 80's. Which is perfectly okay with me, already replaced 1 blower.