Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Owners Forum > Donzi
1966 19 ft. St Tropez >

1966 19 ft. St Tropez

Notices

1966 19 ft. St Tropez

Old 07-05-2018, 05:59 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't know but I'll check . I did pay that much attention to them but the wolverine name sounds familiar . but the older I get the less I trust my memory haha .
Old 07-06-2018, 06:53 AM
Platinum Member

Received 134 Likes on 80 Posts

As far as the engine goes I wouldn't want to guess anything but the Bench Seat Hornet that I referred to was a '68 and it had the original 289 . I don't know enough about H/M stuff to say whether they were doing 302s in '66 though.
The drive though could be a bit more confusing . I'm not sure but I believe that the 270 wasn't yet available in 1966 . It might have been the 200 or 250 drive then .
The thing is they all look nearly identical. The 270 unit was the 270 unit whether it had trim or not . When it had the trim option it was the 270T as the later 280 that had trim was a 280T
They are easily identified as trim models because of the 'elephant ear' appearance of the trim mechanism on either side of the transom assembly . Do you recognize those on yours?
Now , here's the trick part. Anyone could switch out the gear shift cover plate as they were all interchangeable and put a 270 cover on a 250 or 200 , so you can only be certain that you have a 270 if it has trim as the 250 and 200 didn't have that option.
And ... If you do for sure have a 270T on a '66 St Tropez then it probably wasn't original to the build as the 270T didn't exist in '66 . And that goes for the engine as well if the 302 wasn't available in '66. You could have a total re-power job going on there ! (but don't panic, you've got good stuff)
Old 07-06-2018, 08:06 AM
Registered

Truth be told I couldn't tell a 289 from a 302 any way lol I'll have to see if I can find the block #s
I think after this post I can post pics yee
I'm heading up tomorrow for sure so I'll be sending the pics . but what I can do is see if I can down load the pics from the add and post them .
Old 07-06-2018, 08:22 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 1,164 Likes on 497 Posts

Sounds like a nice piece of Donzi history.
I assume you guys have seen this website?

Lake George Donzi Classic Club: St. Tropez

sttrop.pdf

Old 07-06-2018, 08:35 AM
Registered

Thanks yes ive seen it in fact went I first got the boat I was poking arround the differnt sites and saw the lay out matches mine exactly so I real happy
Old 07-06-2018, 08:58 AM
Registered

Madbouyz I just viewed some pics of the 170 and the 270 and I definitely have have the 270 I did see the pic of the dps ( I think that's what it is ) sweet unit stream lined like a racing lower is that the one you put on ?
Old 07-06-2018, 12:01 PM
Platinum Member

Don't worry , I couldn't tell a 289 from a 302 either if they were both dressed the same way !
In Volvo nomenclature the AQ170/270 referred to the old in line six engine they got from their car lineup and marinized it to make 170HP with 3 Solex carbs and an oil cooler plus a few other tricks. It was direct Swedish competition for the old GM based Iron Duke in line 6 that was marinized to make 165 HP and put out way back then by both OMC and Merc.
The 270 part of the equation refers to the 270 outdrive.
My pops had a pair of them in a 24' Jim Wynne sport boat that was hammered for 14 years and they were flawless and trouble free. So , in other words there is no such thing as a '170' drive .
Yes , I tore out all the old Ford/Merc stuff and went with the new GM/Volvo package. At first I thought the single prop SX/A unit would be fine but the boat was virtually out of control and handled terribly with it so after messing with a few prop changes I bit the bullet and exchanged the single prop for the DPS/A .
If you put it next to a Bravo one it makes the bravo look like a 22 cubic foot upright Amana fridge in term of hydrodynamics . It corrected all the handling problems and the thing is scary fast. I still don't know how much though as the boat has been up since initial testing to make sure everything was ok.
People think that twin prop units are for big boats only .. not true at all . Until I put the 2 prop unit on my boat I never realized how much a single prop throws a small boat around .

Last edited by madbouyz; 07-06-2018 at 12:03 PM.
Old 07-06-2018, 12:29 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by madbouyz
Don't worry , I couldn't tell a 289 from a 302 either if they were both dressed the same way !
In Volvo nomenclature the AQ170/270 referred to the old in line six engine they got from their car lineup and marinized it to make 170HP with 3 Solex carbs and an oil cooler plus a few other tricks. It was direct Swedish competition for the old GM based Iron Duke in line 6 that was marinized to make 165 HP and put out way back then by both OMC and Merc.
The 270 part of the equation refers to the 270 outdrive.
My pops had a pair of them in a 24' Jim Wynne sport boat that was hammered for 14 years and they were flawless and trouble free. So , in other words there is no such thing as a '170' drive .
Yes , I tore out all the old Ford/Merc stuff and went with the new GM/Volvo package. At first I thought the single prop SX/A unit would be fine but the boat was virtually out of control and handled terribly with it so after messing with a few prop changes I bit the bullet and exchanged the single prop for the DPS/A .
If you put it next to a Bravo one it makes the bravo look like a 22 cubic foot upright Amana fridge in term of hydrodynamics . It corrected all the handling problems and the thing is scary fast. I still don't know how much though as the boat has been up since initial testing to make sure everything was ok.
People think that twin prop units are for big boats only .. not true at all . Until I put the 2 prop unit on my boat I never realized how much a single prop throws a small boat around .
ya I know I had one on a 28ft seaport and loved the way it ran it had a 350 and would do arround 40 but for trolling if was the best made that motor sip fuel and the unit was bullet broof
Old 07-06-2018, 12:44 PM
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by William paul jones
ya I know I had one on a 28ft seaport and loved the way it ran it had a 350 and would do arround 40 but for trolling if was the best made that motor sip fuel and the unit was bullet broof
Yeah , those old in line 6's were tough little motors. Not much on the performance side but they took a licking . Especially the Volvo 170 as it was a much smaller displacement block than the GM version and revved higher too..

@ Rak .. history ? haha
Imagine having 2 boats with a combined age of almost 100 years between them !
Old 07-06-2018, 01:15 PM
Registered

Well there both 66s so 102 years between them lol . hard to imagine that a boat can last 51 years and still be useable says a lot for the donzi guys and how there built . also for the people who have loved and cared for them before us . I know I'll not be parting with mine it'll be one of those things I'll hand down to one of my son's if they prove worthy of it .
Madbouyz , is there any info on how to squeeze more hp out of my set up ?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.