Received 71 Likes on 29 Posts

Love the sound of these 400Rs..

https://www.facebook.com/greg.connelly/videos/10153829442795965/
Old 09-20-2016, 04:51 PM
Registered

Received 68 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by stimleck
except it has a tiny cockpit
The cockpit was designed around what I wanted. Doug will build a six seater if that's what you want. I personally think a five seat cockpit in this style and size of boat is perfect. You still have a ton of storage, can walk around to the deck with lots of area to stand on the side of the sponsons, very easy access into the boat from the water while keeping the aerodynamics spot on. No intercom needed to talk while underway and wind protection for everyone.
Old 09-20-2016, 05:20 PM
Registered

Received 807 Likes on 455 Posts

^^^^ HELLUVA boat design - not easy to wrap up performance, function and style in a package without having to sacrifice something.

Beautiful ride!
Old 09-20-2016, 07:34 PM
Registered

Received 831 Likes on 226 Posts

Originally Posted by ktron
The cockpit was designed around what I wanted. Doug will build a six seater if that's what you want. I personally think a five seat cockpit in this style and size of boat is perfect. You still have a ton of storage, can walk around to the deck with lots of area to stand on the side of the sponsons, very easy access into the boat from the water while keeping the aerodynamics spot on. No intercom needed to talk while underway and wind protection for everyone.
I'm with you 100% Daren. I'm going to keep mine a 5 seater with the narrower windshield when we convert mine to the wrap windshield. Since Pete is cutting the entire deck off from the front of the canopies to the transom, I could make it anything I want - but I'm staying with a narrower cockpit. Funny you mention no need for intercoms, as I took mine out and will not be putting them back in. I figured that with the full wrap windshield and quiet outboards, there would be no need for them. Glad you have confirmed my prediction! Again, I really appreciate all the information you're posting up about your rig. My 30 cockpit will end up being much more similar to your 32 than the 318s Pete has built so far. But then again, I think I sorta' started the minimalist-cockpit trend 12 years ago.......
Old 09-20-2016, 09:21 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Couple things:

1. Running 115 plus the boat will get pushed around with side wind gusts. When it happens be prepared .

2. I think a bigger cockpit is always a plus when pleasure boating for the full day with family. Put five people in... and boat around for days and you will agree. I just came back from Havasu and we had a full boat everyday. The new 34 Doug Wright will have a bigger cockpit.

3. Intercom's are awesome when you need to talk to everyone. If your a single guy with one person in the boat. Then yeah you don't need them. I had a full boat with my three kids in the back and intercoms are the way to go. From Dad can we stop and float... to watch out for that jet skier coming from the port side.

We have them in boats, sandcars and side by sides. When your running over 80 MPH...and you need to talk to people in the back and make sure everyone is Ok. I would not have a boat without an intercom. We had them in our Howard Sportdeck and used them all the time. I am personally waiting for better wireless intercoms than currently available. However, for now I have 5 intercoms in the boat and they are priceless. Once you use them regularly they are second nature. Plus you can pipe in music when your not talking and when you talk it cuts the music out and everyone can talk simultaneously.

4. Power added features that void warranties are foolish when you purchase an extended 3 year warranty from Mercury. I mean really how often will you wring it out...maybe a couple Shootouts to see what number you can lay down in a mile and that is it. Now cooler weather has yielded my fastest speeds but I don't do much boating in the winter.

KAP
Old 09-21-2016, 08:20 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Skater30
I'm with you 100% Daren. I'm going to keep mine a 5 seater with the narrower windshield when we convert mine to the wrap windshield. Since Pete is cutting the entire deck off from the front of the canopies to the transom, I could make it anything I want - but I'm staying with a narrower cockpit. Funny you mention no need for intercoms, as I took mine out and will not be putting them back in. I figured that with the full wrap windshield and quiet outboards, there would be no need for them. Glad you have confirmed my prediction! Again, I really appreciate all the information you're posting up about your rig. My 30 cockpit will end up being much more similar to your 32 than the 318s Pete has built so far. But then again, I think I sorta' started the minimalist-cockpit trend 12 years ago.......
I agree Dale, your boat is clearly very fast and done right with the wrap windshield will be a rocket!!
Old 09-21-2016, 08:29 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by kap328
Couple things:

1. Running 115 plus the boat will get pushed around with side wind gusts. When it happens be prepared .

2. I think a bigger cockpit is always a plus when pleasure boating for the full day with family. Put five people in... and boat around for days and you will agree. I just came back from Havasu and we had a full boat everyday. The new 34 Doug Wright will have a bigger cockpit.

3. Intercom's are awesome when you need to talk to everyone. If your a single guy with one person in the boat. Then yeah you don't need them. I had a full boat with my three kids in the back and intercoms are the way to go. From Dad can we stop and float... to watch out for that jet skier coming from the port side.

We have them in boats, sandcars and side by sides. When your running over 80 MPH...and you need to talk to people in the back and make sure everyone is Ok. I would not have a boat without an intercom. We had them in our Howard Sportdeck and used them all the time. I am personally waiting for better wireless intercoms than currently available. However, for now I have 5 intercoms in the boat and they are priceless. Once you use them regularly they are second nature. Plus you can pipe in music when your not talking and when you talk it cuts the music out and everyone can talk simultaneously.

4. Power added features that void warranties are foolish when you purchase an extended 3 year warranty from Mercury. I mean really how often will you wring it out...maybe a couple Shootouts to see what number you can lay down in a mile and that is it. Now cooler weather has yielded my fastest speeds but I don't do much boating in the winter.

KAP
I have experienced quite a few runs with a heavy crosswinds and gusts and it's incredible the first time you feel it. Running the FJ raceboat with GB in LOTO this year we had a thunderstorm start to come in halfway through the race and the crosswinds on the back straight were crazy! They were picking the whole boat up and moving it laterally like nothing. Quite the experience to say the least. We also had a lot of crosswinds while testing with Mercury Racing down at Grant's. I was very lucky to be running the boat with two of the best guys when experiencing it for the first few times.

I am looking forward to the new 34 design. I have been talking with Doug Sr. a lot about it and it should be quite the setup.

Intercoms are definetely a nice feature, I just think with my setup it is not needed.
Old 09-21-2016, 12:01 PM
Registered

Some fuel burn numbers...
Attached Thumbnails New 32 doug wright 400r build-img_6119.jpg   New 32 doug wright 400r build-img_6120.jpg  
Old 09-21-2016, 12:15 PM
Registered

Received 71 Likes on 29 Posts

What cruise speed do you feel is the best and does she have the "Tunnel Hop" at a certain speed range?
Old 09-21-2016, 06:04 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ktron
Some fuel burn numbers...
Even I can afford the gas .................... ;-)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.