Notices

Hard Shifting

Old 05-01-2007, 05:51 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

got some pics ,but don't really show to well....

Boat came with a 25hydro....that was pretty beat, sent it to bblades and they set it back to specs as best they could. Haven't had a chance to lake test yet......soon

last pic shows the best where it goes in front of the lower exhuast tube then snakes into the transom assembly.
Attached Thumbnails Hard Shifting-dsc01325.jpg   Hard Shifting-dsc01326.jpg   Hard Shifting-dsc01327.jpg  

Old 05-02-2007, 06:32 AM
Registered

camp thanx for the pics,i think mine looks the same as yours.need to figure out why it shifts so hard.gonna swap a drive off my buddies boat this weekend and see what happens.let me know how that prop works.gonna try a revolution 4 this weekend.are you able to trim your boat.my bow starts bouncing like crazy as soon as i start to trim
Old 05-22-2007, 03:27 PM
Registered

well swapped drives from my buddies boat last night and shifter still hard.so i guess its good that the drive is ok but bad that i still don't know what is wrong.should i just throw a lower cable in for maintence?it almost has to be where the problem is right?
Old 05-24-2007, 08:05 AM
Registered

ok replaced lower cable because it was stiff and had a very small kink in it.same f in problem.swapped drives still hard.could it be the front cable.when i have the front 1 disconnected it moves freely.now this is my first boat with gaffrig controls.are they normaly stiff to shift in/out of gear?i did adjust cable and have good forward and reverse just hard to move shifter.
Old 05-24-2007, 04:34 PM
Charter Member #601
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

if you disconnect the cable that runs from the shifter to the transistion block, it should move very freely.. no drag at all.. look for a kink in that cable as well. should all have nice radiused bends.. and the shifter mech should be greased and free movement..
Old 05-24-2007, 05:09 PM
Charter Member #30
Charter Member

Received 18 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr Gadgets
if you disconnect the cable that runs from the shifter to the transistion block, it should move very freely.. no drag at all.. look for a kink in that cable as well. should all have nice radiused bends.. and the shifter mech should be greased and free movement..
I'm replacing mine tomorrow for the same reason. But hey what do I know I don't own a Baja and have steps
Old 05-25-2007, 07:05 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by awsomethunder
ok replaced lower cable because it was stiff and had a very small kink in it.same f in problem.swapped drives still hard.could it be the front cable.when i have the front 1 disconnected it moves freely.now this is my first boat with gaffrig controls.are they normaly stiff to shift in/out of gear?i did adjust cable and have good forward and reverse just hard to move shifter.
finally going to splash today, will let ya know how it shifts. seemd to shift alot better on the hose than I remember. Dumb question are you shifting when its running?
Old 05-25-2007, 01:58 PM
Registered

yea shifting running.i just don't get but its the weekend,not gonna worry about it now.the weather is hot,lake is smooth and the beer is ice cold.gonna burn some fuel
Old 05-25-2007, 06:19 PM
Registered

well it shifted fine, a little stiff but 100% better................

But now it has issues, won't get past 2000 rpm's can't get up on plane. Luckily launched out of the marina that did the work, called them and they dropped what thay were doing and sent 2 techs to the dock to help me out. Seems like guardain mode, but then a thunderstorm spawned and but it on the trailer. That was pretty cool of them considering it was the day before the holiday weekend, and then when I brought it back to the shop they were gonna jump right on it......Now that is service.
Old 06-04-2007, 05:31 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Fwiw- was fighting stiff shifting on my RH rotation fwd gear more so then my reverse. Verified cables free, bellcrank dim at 3" and, nice sweeping bends in the cables.

Took the shift cam assy apart to investigate (Inside forward of rear cap on upper) therer are two "ramp cams" on the assy- each had an abrupt start to the cam, about an .080" vertical surface- I chamfered each of these corners for a smooth ramp- shifts nice now, no other changes. Not sure how this tolerance varies as merc delivers them, but an easy fix.

Quick Reply: Hard Shifting

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.