Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > Drives and Lower Units
TRS to SSMIII conversion?????? >

TRS to SSMIII conversion??????

Notices

TRS to SSMIII conversion??????

Old 04-25-2007, 02:58 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

"IF" everything still fits under the hatch. My entire bilge is stripped out and the boat is at my glass guys shop about an hour and a half away. I'm pretty convinced that I need to move the drive height up. I can always space them down if need be. I need to get inside the bilge and take some detailed measurements. Any concern with regards to handling when moving the drive/engines up two inches? I know it will shift balance, but do you think it would even be noticeable? The boat is a 24 degree V, no steps or notches. I'm going naturally aspirated and hoping for around 500HP. I'm not going racing, but I wouldn't mind getting to Atlantic City ahead of the rest of the gang. Thanks for the input!
Old 04-25-2007, 03:06 PM
Registered

I saw a 357 Formula for sale in the classifieds with SSMIII. I sent him a note asking just that. Looks like the general consensus is, drives up 2". I have not started looking for props yet. If the drives are going up 2 ", should I be looking for 4 blade props rather than 3 blade? Thanks for the reply, Gary!
Old 04-25-2007, 04:04 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

One note.
I dont think you can run spacers on old IIIs. IIIAs will accept spacers. Check on this first for your drive.
Old 04-25-2007, 04:17 PM
Registered

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Go with the two inches up. And three blade props will be your best bet. Your still not gonna be to the point of surfacing the props. Also the small shaft stuff should be easy to find in three blade. Try BAM in POmpano or Intense Marine Miami.
Old 04-25-2007, 07:36 PM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Talk to DJD on hear. I know that everyone was telling him to go up 2 inches and he went 3 and I think he was very happy with that set up. The TRS set up on your 302 is VERY low. I measured mine and my prop shaft is 1 foot below the bottom of the boat!! Go as high as your engine covers will allow is my suggestion, IMO your drives will still be to low.

Jon
Old 04-25-2007, 08:05 PM
Registered

CIG3, Thanks again. I have seen quite a bit of small shaft props for sale. Just have to figure what pitch to start with. I have been dealing with BAM Marine for a lot of my OEM mercury parts. I'll be sure to contact them when I'm ready for props.
Old 04-25-2007, 08:08 PM
Registered

Gary, thanks for letting me know about the potential problem regarding spacers. I have number to call Mercury Racing tech department. I'll give them a ring during business hours tomorrow. I'll let you know what they say about SSM3 spacer availability. Thanks again for your help!!!
Old 04-25-2007, 08:38 PM
Registered

Jon, I'll try to contact DJD. I'll take some measurements to see just how high I can go. I have some Stellings exhaust coming in. I'm sure they'll add to the clearance issue, too. Glad I posted this thread! Everyone has been awesome! If I hadn't asked you guys, I'd have been dragging my drives all over the Atlantic! Thanks again, Dave.
Old 04-26-2007, 07:29 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's not spacer availability that's the issue. The early IIIs did not have a long enough verticle shaft o add spacers in between the upper and lower.
As for the heright. Keep in mind that not only is the III designed to run much higher, it's also several inches longer. That allows an even higher drive height, similar to adding an extension box.
Once again start looking at factory installed drive heights on similar boats.
I did this on my last cat and had great results. BTW, on that boat the prop shaft was 1 1/2" above the bottom of the hull.
Old 07-04-2007, 12:48 PM
Registered

why 2 dogs how has your project turned out??? I would love to see pictures of the progress.

Quick Reply: TRS to SSMIII conversion??????

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.