Milky Outdrive Lube    New Mechanic >

Milky Outdrive Lube New Mechanic

Notices

Milky Outdrive Lube New Mechanic

Old 05-29-2007, 02:13 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Milky Outdrive Lube New Mechanic

Ran a little last weekend and when I took the RPM's up...I started smelling gear lube.

454MPI
Bravo 1

Stopped and opened the hatch. There was gear lube on the port side manifold that had come out of the reservoir.

The reservoir was down about 3oz and the remaining gear lube was milky. I don't think the drive is leaking lube externally....I think the water that is getting in was causing the reservoir to overflow? If that's the case...would the reservoir go back to nearly full? Seems like the water being sucked in is displacing the lube in the reservoir?

I drained the outdrive. Lube was milky, foamy and slow to drain.

I checked the seals on the drain and vent screw gaskets. They looked fine. Thankfully, zero metal on either of the magnetic plugs.

Because I am using a new mechanic at my dry stack; I want to make sure we are on the same page:

Next Steps by Mechanic should be:

1. Pressure test the drive using the drain hole to look for gasket leaks

2. Remove prop and check the seals on the lower gear housing carrier. I don't have the special tools to do this.

3. Remove outdrive and check the big boot for presence of water. If no water replace the boot and the oil seal behind it.

I think the oil seal behind the u-joints is the culprit because; it's my understanding that this seal only keeps lube in and does not prevent water from entering.

I hope we find it by now....because I think the next thing that is suggested is to check the internal seals on the drive.

I have heard it suggested that you can check the upper and lower drive separately to narrow down the search. Does anyone know how this is accomplished? I would much rather not crack the entire drive wide-open.

Any help is greatly appreciated.
Old 05-29-2007, 08:18 PM
I hate the winter!!
Platinum Member

If you got water in the drive lube, you really should tear it down and wash it all out. You will never get all that contaminated lube out simply by draining it. Flushing it out may work, but I would check the gears and bearings, replace the seals, pressure check it and enjoy the rest of the year. Fix it right the first time, so you dont have to do it twice.
Old 05-30-2007, 06:30 AM
Charter Member #601
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Allen,
was there any work done to the drive prior to this mishap? How long did u run it after the problem showed up? Any possibility that water had gotten in the drive on a previous outing? If you had any water sitting in the drive for any length of time, it should be torn down and checked. If all looked normal and then as you got on plane and it happened, and you took it back to the trailer, you may be alright with a flush. It is your call, but like Check454 says, to do it right the first time is usually a better call.
I would presure check the drive, more than likely that will tell you something. If it holds psi, then put a vaccum on it.
The input shaft seal is a pretty reliable piece. And water should NOT be present in that area!!
I suspect the quad seal that is located between the upper and lower housings. It seals an oil passage and is located in a water passage. So if it leaks, there is major water psi at that point. But you should see evidence of oil leaking out of the water pick up area.
You may have some fishing line on the propshaft, damaging the propshaft seals. In that case the do need to be replaced.

psi checking the seperate halves is accomplished by blocking off the passages and then putting psi to it. I find it easier to just dunk the whole drive in a tub and look for bubbles, like you do a tire at the tire store. That will show very slow leaks and is an effective way to elimate tearing the whole drive down.
I think in your case you have a major water leak, so it should show up very easily..

Let us know what you find..

Hope this helps...

D*ck
Old 08-08-2007, 12:55 PM
Registered

Turned out to be an engine alignment issue.

The new mechanic I took it to indicated that it looked to him like the last time it was serviced and was supposedly checked for alignment...the mechanic couldn't have adjusted it properly, because the engine mount bot was seized!

Replaced engine mount

Replaced Engine Coupler

Adjusted Alignment

Replaced Gimbal Bearing

Resealed lower unit

Parts $812
Labor $1,235

Total $2,391.80
Old 08-08-2007, 01:25 PM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,894 Likes on 952 Posts

and how did he say water got into the drive lube??????

I'm guessing the lower seals????

The alignment would have nothing to with water in the lube.
Old 08-08-2007, 02:06 PM
Registered

They did a pressure test, but never could locate it
Old 08-08-2007, 02:08 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Allenk4- Sorry to hear your problems are continuing, You should have faith in your mechanic. It seems are are have more problems than you should be having. I've recently relocated from Chesapeake by area and have been a Merc tech all my life. I have been building a customer base in Austin and I'm looking for avid boaters like yourself. I have just put a web site up showing some of my boating experiences at jrsperos.com. If your not comfortable with the way things are going feel free to contact me I know I can make you Happy. Good luck
Sincerely,
Jim Speros
Old 08-08-2007, 02:54 PM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,894 Likes on 952 Posts

Originally Posted by allenk4
They did a pressure test, but never could locate it

Pressure test will show where lube is leaking out. He should have also done a vacuum test. It will show better where water may have been coming in.
Old 08-08-2007, 04:25 PM
Geronimo36
Gold Member

Received 131 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by MOBILEMERCMAN
Allenk4- Sorry to hear your problems are continuing, You should have faith in your mechanic. It seems are are have more problems than you should be having. I've recently relocated from Chesapeake by area and have been a Merc tech all my life. I have been building a customer base in Austin and I'm looking for avid boaters like yourself. I have just put a web site up showing some of my boating experiences at jrsperos.com. If your not comfortable with the way things are going feel free to contact me I know I can make you Happy. Good luck
Sincerely,
Jim Speros
Holy Crap... Is this the Jim Speros that used to work up in NJ??? You did a lot of work at the marina (Navesink) on a blue Sutphen with 3 - 2.5's and a mini-apache with a small block..... You would ride your bike from the marina down to the launch ramp to take Ron's boat out of the water and rebuild/change lowers and powerheads on the Sutphen.......

Anyway, I'm Frank, I was one of the mechanics at the marina back then. If this isn't you I apologize.

Frank
Old 08-08-2007, 04:32 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey Frank, You called me out. Did you check out my site? What are you doing now? Do you ever see Gary anymore?
Jim

Quick Reply: Milky Outdrive Lube New Mechanic

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.