Trim Sender and Limiter???? >

Trim Sender and Limiter????

Notices

Trim Sender and Limiter????

Old 06-17-2007, 11:17 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trim Sender and Limiter????

I need to replace my trim limit and sender. The question that I have is I do not want to rip the drive and bellhousing back off, is there a dependable way to swap the wiring to the new switches? The new ones have the wires made onto the switch.

Thanks
Dwayne
Old 06-19-2007, 10:50 AM
Rough Seas Lie Ahead
Gold Member

My experience with swapping out for new senders, is nope. Not with a sealed set. Trick is to try and get enough access to feed the new wire set thru the transom to where they can be pulled thru.
Old 06-19-2007, 08:01 PM
Registered

you have to pull it off to get to the bold that holds and seals them
Old 06-19-2007, 09:49 PM
Registered

I just put it all back together!!! I bought the boat needing a motor, and some of the stuff was already apart so I was not able to check it. Didn't think to test them with a DVOM while it was apart! I don't like doing work twice. I will look at the new ones when they arrive and see what I can do!
Old 06-19-2007, 10:22 PM
Registered

Received 692 Likes on 276 Posts

if there like alpha's (which I suspect they are) the wires have rubber plugs that squeeze together under a retainging ring secured by 2 bolts to form a seal. the 2 bolts are rather hard to get too...so Im afraid the helmet has to pretty much come off.
Old 06-19-2007, 11:49 PM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,895 Likes on 952 Posts

It can be done without removing the drive. My mechanic did it with mine. It took him a while, but he did not remove the drive. He cut the wires at the old puck sender and used them to pull the new wires through the transom assembly.
Old 06-20-2007, 11:44 AM
Registered

the new bracket that comes with the senders only has one bolt in it....and it can be done with the drive on it is tough but it can be done.....
Old 06-23-2007, 12:47 PM
Registered

I decided to pull everything apart last night to do it. Other than not having the right trim sender in the kit, it was not bad at all! Plus I have the piece of mind that all the wiring is new and everything was done right. As an auto tech. I have many tricks to the trade, just don't have all the tricks for the boat stuff down yet! Thank for the info guys!
Old 06-23-2007, 04:58 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I have put 3 trim senders on my 21 yr. old boat. I cut the wires out in the transom assembly. Cut the wires from the new sender to the proper length. Use a good crimp-on wire connector and then cover it with liquid electical tape. Never had a problem with this method.

Dave
Old 06-24-2007, 08:40 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

dave
I have been working on boats for 27 years for a living, I have never had to repalace a set of trim senders more than once. But everything I deal with is fresh water.
Mercruiser recomends that under no circumstances are those wire to be cut and spiced, maybe this is why you have gone throught so many?
larry

Quick Reply: Trim Sender and Limiter????

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.