Help with a B1x gear change

Notices

Help with a B1x gear change

Old 06-28-2007, 09:50 AM
SeaRay Sundancer
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ComfortablyNumb
Thank you for the advice everyone. I'm going to give it a couple of more days and see if I can get this resolved or completed. I looked up the prices for the tools, a spanner wrench and a shifter adjustment tool (don't have my book with me). Not to bad actually. The gears cost a bit though.

Can I tell if I have the late model case by the serial number?

My real concern is that by putting about 600 hp though the drive I should have an experienced person do this, although I really enyoy being able to do some work myself.

tablrklakemo;

I do go to Chatfield just to get the boat wet, usually early on the weekends, thats when the local hot air balloon clubs like to launch. I also go to Horestooth in Fort Collins, Lake Granby up off of US40 and then Blue Mesa Reservoir west of Gunnison. I've not been down to Powell for 6 years. I want the lake to come up a bit more before I spend the money to tow that far again.
Nice.....Sounds like fun. Had some friends that would go to horsetooth to wakeboard. I bet granby is fun. Ive been on grand lake a few times, but never got the chance to make it over to granby. Most of our summers were spend 4wheelin or downhill mtn bike'en. Enjoy the rest of the summer.
Old 07-22-2007, 08:27 AM
Registered

Pat, I use Cable Simpson at Great Lakes Marine on Sante Fe to do all my Merc. drive work.
Phone # 303-791-6100
Bob owns the place and Cable is the head merc. mechanic.
I have complete confidence in Cables abilities. I run Blackhawk and XR and Bravo drives. I also live here in Castle Rock Colorado.

If you are interested we are having a Poker/Party at Lake Powell on the weekend of August 18th.
http://www.hotboat.com/forums/showthread.php?t=145220
Nothing fancy or prententious; just a bunch of fun boaters that are in love with Powell. Both families and partiers in this group. Fell free to contact me at 303-478-2679 if you are interested in joining us.

Also, I happen to like Powell with the water level down; it gives us a lot more beaches to choose from when camping or even parking the houseboat.

Don

Last edited by 100mph; 07-22-2007 at 08:34 AM.
Old 07-23-2007, 07:34 AM
Charter Member #601
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Marc,
Sorry I havent seen this post for so long.. Just way too busy!!
I have blindly been following the stinkin manual on that point. But what you say makes sense, but we are measuring the torque at the end of a lever. I have interpeted the chart to tell me that to set torque wrench to 130 lbs/ft and it will give me 200 lbs/ft on the retainer nut. But as you mention, the lenght of the torque wrench should not matter. I will have to check into the Snapon chart and see what it says.
So when you torque the retainer nut, what do you torque it to.. 200 ft/lbs on the wrench?

Thanks for the info... always learning, till we stop breathing,
Gotta love this stuff!!

D*ck
Old 07-23-2007, 07:36 AM
Charter Member #601
Charter Member

Pat,
The gear set is either available or on back order, plain and simple. Merc does have a habit of running out when you need them the most.. FYI

D*ck
Old 07-23-2007, 12:54 PM
Geronimo36
Gold Member

Received 131 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr Gadgets
Marc,
Sorry I havent seen this post for so long.. Just way too busy!!
I have blindly been following the stinkin manual on that point. But what you say makes sense, but we are measuring the torque at the end of a lever. I have interpeted the chart to tell me that to set torque wrench to 130 lbs/ft and it will give me 200 lbs/ft on the retainer nut. But as you mention, the lenght of the torque wrench should not matter. I will have to check into the Snapon chart and see what it says.
So when you torque the retainer nut, what do you torque it to.. 200 ft/lbs on the wrench?

Thanks for the info... always learning, till we stop breathing,
Gotta love this stuff!!

D*ck
I could be right or I could be wrong but I never felt the torque on that particular spanner nut was critical. For what it's worth, it's holding the bearing races and spacer into the case and it's not adjusting any kind of rolling preload. The rolling preload for that bearing pack is controled by the nut on the end of the yoke. Once it's torqued down it's solid.

So in my mind, 200 ft. lbs. is what I call tight... So I just make them tight, but not tight enough to strip out the threads. So call me crazy...

Now the lower spanner nut...that's a different story.

Last edited by Panther; 07-23-2007 at 12:56 PM.
Old 07-23-2007, 04:50 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I accidently over tightened the spanner nut on mine the first time I put it back together and sent the preload completely out of limits to where it was difficult to turn the input shaft by hand. Had to go back and redo the bearing preload. FWIW,

Rene
Old 07-23-2007, 06:39 PM
Geronimo36
Gold Member

Received 131 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by oldandtired
I accidently over tightened the spanner nut on mine the first time I put it back together and sent the preload completely out of limits to where it was difficult to turn the input shaft by hand. Had to go back and redo the bearing preload. FWIW,

Rene
Something else must have been going on because that doesn't control the preload. The spanner nut tighens up against the outer bearing race, the center spacer and the inner bearing race where it bottoms out inside the case. Somthing else must have been misaligned/missing when you put the gear/bearing/ujoint assembly into the case that made it tighten up like that. I've never had that problem before..

If the center spacer isn't lined up precisely when you set the rolling preload on the bearing pack you'll get false readings when it's installed in the case.

http://www.mercruiserparts.com/Show_...28X%2DDRIVE%29
Old 07-23-2007, 06:54 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm embarrassed to admit it, but I used the torque wrench in the wrong direction and went waayyy tight before I realized what happened. In any event, I took it back apart, reset the preload and assembled. It has been running perfectly since March or so.

Rene
Old 07-24-2007, 08:25 AM
Registered

Pat, I use Cable Simpson at Great Lakes Marine on Sante Fe to do all my Merc. drive work.
Phone # 303-791-6100
Bob owns the place and Cable is the head merc. mechanic.
I have complete confidence in Cables abilities. I run Blackhawk and XR and Bravo drives. I also live here in Castle Rock Colorado.
Don,

I've used Great Lakes for years, in fact I bought my previous boat from Bob. Earlier this spring they were booked way out into early summer. So I ended up chasing down a lead to the fellow I mentioned above. After waiting for 5 weeks I went out to his shop early in July and got my drive back. He then said he'd have the gears in a week or so and I could bring my boat back and we would work on it right away. Now it's almost the end of July and all I get are lies. I had paid for the gears up front (stupid ) so now I'm trying to get my money back. Was promised my money back last week so I talked to Cable and found that his supplier has the gears in stock. Supposed to get the drive done next week but I may have to cancel 'cause I don't have my money back now. Probably going to go to small claims court and this will all have to wait until next year.

Another boating lesson learned the hard way.

Pat
Old 07-25-2007, 05:03 AM
Charter Member #601
Charter Member

I did a search and came up with this site on the torque wrench.

Panther, my opinion is you need to hold that pinion bearing package as tightly as possible to prevent it from moving..

http://www.norbar.com:80/torquewrenc...calculator.php

D*ck

Quick Reply: Help with a B1x gear change

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.