Received 164 Likes on 92 Posts

Same as Merc - it is wrong

Length of wrench is not part of the equation
Old 07-25-2007, 08:20 AM
Geronimo36
Gold Member

Received 131 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr Gadgets
Panther, my opinion is you need to hold that pinion bearing package as tightly as possible to prevent it from moving..

D*ck
That's kinda what I meant, make it tight as possible without damaging threads on the spanner nut and case. They probably give a torque setting so joe blow doesn't strip the threads out. 99% of the people I know and worked with know how tight to make it without putting a torque wrench on it.

For me the actual torque setting (200 lbs) doesn't mean much, especially since no one agrees on how to arrive at that number anyway.
Old 07-25-2007, 12:36 PM
Offshoreonly Advertiser
Offshoreonly Advertiser

Panther, I agree. Tight as possible.

I have to tell you, I did a little googling this early am while having coffe. Every single site I can find has the same calculation for torque using an offset adapter. Is it me or the rest of the world that is crazy ?- please no one answer that.

We're setting up a little experiment right now. Report to follow
Old 07-25-2007, 01:56 PM
Charter Member #601
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Ok... let us know what you find. I tired to find something on Snapoff's site, but no luck.. I may trade in my torque wrench and start using the breaker bar..
Old 07-25-2007, 02:16 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is it possible that they are talking about putting the extension on the drive end of the wrench and not on the handle ? Putting it on the handle would not require any calculation at all, just a torque wrench that reads 200 or more.
Old 07-25-2007, 04:12 PM
Geronimo36
Gold Member

Received 131 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by PatriYacht
Is it possible that they are talking about putting the extension on the drive end of the wrench and not on the handle ? Putting it on the handle would not require any calculation at all, just a torque wrench that reads 200 or more.
Yes, that's what I understand they are doing with the link that Mr. Gadgets posted.

If you extend the toque wrench on the "drive end" I would assume it would have to change the torque measurements on the toque wrench itself (at the clicker) because you are changing the geometry of the torque wrench. The link that D*ck provided does not change the length of the "handle", it only changes the length of the drive end.
Old 07-25-2007, 06:54 PM
Offshoreonly Advertiser
Offshoreonly Advertiser

well-----

initial data says --- the formulas are correct, will sleep on this over night and try again in the am.

Set up a 12" offset, put a 1/2 drive at 12" offset & 6" offset, put the output end in a digital rotary torque meter.

Pics to follow

Don't we have any ME's around here?
Hooked up a digital torque
Old 07-25-2007, 09:09 PM
Charter Member #601
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Ok.. lets all sleep on it!! Try again in the morning.. Gotta love it when minds all over the country are working on a theory!!

D*ck.
Old 10-12-2007, 08:14 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I brought this thread back up to warn others in the Denver area about the man who presents himself as a marine mechanic. I never got my drive ratio changed this year and I've been fighting since July to get my money back.

The guys name is Steve Graves and he used to have a business in Littleton called the Boat Doctors,(sp?) which closed. He operates out of a shop he built on his property. I think he's also a snap on tools dealer. Anyhow after an endless string of excuses's and sob stories I've still not seen my money. Now I have to decide if I should sue him or not. Even if I win can I collect? I'm not sure about throwing good money after bad. I've talked to a couple of other shops in Denver since this started and I've been told that this is typical for this man.

For you in the Denver area, if you come across Steve Graves, be carefull! My experience hasn't been a good one.
Old 10-12-2007, 09:19 AM
Registered

Location: Omaha, Nebraska. Boat on the Mighty Mo! Longest river in the USA!
Received 37 Likes on 23 Posts

Now I have to decide if I should sue him or not. Even if I win can I collect?
Yes, take him to small claims court. Getting a Judgment is easy, collecting is the hard part. I don't know the Colorado laws as well as I should (I don't live there, but I have a home in Steamboat). contact an attorney, a letter stating you will put a lien on his home will get him to pay up. If not put a lien on his home for your satisfaction! You will be surpised it dosen't cost much...

JIM

Last edited by 1BIGJIM; 10-12-2007 at 11:33 AM.