Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > Drives and Lower Units
Broken Gimbal ring, and much more!!!! >

Broken Gimbal ring, and much more!!!!

Notices

Broken Gimbal ring, and much more!!!!

Old 07-01-2007, 06:22 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Broken Gimbal ring, and much more!!!!

This weekend i was WOT jumped a large wake and snaped my bravo 1 clean off the back.
The only thing that kept the drive from sinking to the bottom was the external steering.

I bend both trim rams, broke the gimbal ring, broke the bell housing, broke the upper case also.

The gimble housing is fine.

My question:
I found a stainless steel ring for 695.00 should i buy it? It seems like its the huk.
Also can i get the hole gimble, rams, transom, bell, bellows, etc, all put together for bolt on. It seems like it would be easier to just un-bolt the transom plates and slide in a new one rather than trying to put the gimbal ring in?????

what do you think would be my best option, try to fix the mess or just buy a new outdrive??????

Just the case alone is 1100.00 and to swap out all my guts sems pointless by the time i get new bearings and seals.

My boat is a 94 24' baja outlaw, with a MPI 525hp
should i be getting a XR upper?

Basically I'm looking for some ideas of what i should do to fix it.
I'm trying to get it fixed fast and painless, I'm not worried about the $$$$$$$$. I just don't want to start ordering all these parts and then not get the right part, wait another 3 days for parts, find out i need another part and wait 3 more days. You know just want it to be done.

thanks for your time.
Curt LAXBAJA
Old 07-01-2007, 06:38 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

look on ebay for complete transom assemblies. Very reasonable and cheap freight. I'll be buying a HP transom assembly this week.
Old 07-01-2007, 06:44 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It sounds like your best bet would be to buy the entire transom assembly. I think that they run around 2500 and the only real hassle is pulling the engine forward or out so that you have room to work. It will probably be faster than taking everything apart, ordering all of your parts, and then reassembling. I could turn out to be close on money as well. As far as going to the XR, why bother if your Bravo 1 han't broken.

Rene
Old 07-01-2007, 08:31 PM
Registered
Gold Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Don't forget to heavily scrutinize your motor mounts and replace your engine coupler as well. You're probably gonna need some inner transom work. I'd be surprised if you don't find spider cracking by the outer gimbal also.
Old 07-01-2007, 11:38 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 882 Likes on 410 Posts

the stainless gimbal ring from chad hill/hill propellors is a piece of junk,I bought one and it wasn't even close to fitting,Smitty
Old 07-02-2007, 06:17 AM
Registered

Thanks for all the info, I'm going to just buy a complete gimble assembly, and pull the motor to look for any other problems.
Old 07-02-2007, 07:41 PM
Registered

unless you have a standoff box, you will need to pull the motor anyway to replace the transom assembly. The bell housing sits on the inner plate, which will most likely move once all the bolts are out. Plus it will be a whole lot easier to do with the motor out of the way. Oh, and go for a HP transom assembly. Its a bit stronger. Im sure your drive is fine. But youll probably have to replace the input shaft and U joints. there are some reasonable deals in the classifieds for HP gimbals and XR drives. I believe Dollar Marine has a complete rebuilt HP gimbal for 2700.00. Check it out
Old 07-27-2007, 09:53 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Stainless Steel Gimbel Ring

The stainless steel gimbel ring we build is far better then anything on the market, in my opinion. It is much cheaper in cost then any other manufacture and yet it stronger then anything available. I do admit the first ones we produced had a little trouble fitting. The problem has been taken care of. We have sold over 400 of these throughout the world over the last two years. I guarantee they will fit and be the last ring you ever buy.

Also note: Hill Marine makes stainless steel bell housings, swivel shafts, and 17:4 U bolts. By 2008 we will be selling the complete bolt on gimbel.
The following users liked this post:
93 shooter (07-01-2023)
Old 07-27-2007, 10:14 AM
Registered

Call Victory Marine and get a complete new assembly - for a helluva price. They are probably non-current, but brand new and worth the $$ IMO
Old 07-27-2007, 11:43 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by chill
The stainless steel gimbel ring we build is far better then anything on the market, in my opinion. It is much cheaper in cost then any other manufacture and yet it stronger then anything available. I do admit the first ones we produced had a little trouble fitting. The problem has been taken care of. We have sold over 400 of these throughout the world over the last two years. I guarantee they will fit and be the last ring you ever buy.

Also note: Hill Marine makes stainless steel bell housings, swivel shafts, and 17:4 U bolts. By 2008 we will be selling the complete bolt on gimbel.
Do you make them for #6's?

Quick Reply: Broken Gimbal ring, and much more!!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.