Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > Drives and Lower Units
Problem with my TRS drive >

Problem with my TRS drive

Notices

Problem with my TRS drive

Old 09-21-2007, 05:17 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OK guys. I took the boat to Craig Colabella today, and the tranny is fried, but full of burnt fluid. The TRS drive oil is like new. The other tranny fluid is the color of Pepto- Bismol, and Craig said that I may have a pin hole in the tranny cooler letting water get in under pressure. Going to send the tranny to BAM for rebuild.

I want to beef up the tranny also. BAM says that they can replace the original disks with bronze clutch disks to handle more horsepower. My problem is that these are the original Merc trannies rated to 500 HP, and now I have 550 HP per engine. Not crazy about spending 5-7 thousand just to upgrade to the Velvets.
Old 09-21-2007, 09:02 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by White Knuckles
OK guys. I took the boat to Craig Colabella today, and the tranny is fried, but full of burnt fluid. The TRS drive oil is like new. The other tranny fluid is the color of Pepto- Bismol, and Craig said that I may have a pin hole in the tranny cooler letting water get in under pressure. Going to send the tranny to BAM for rebuild.

I want to beef up the tranny also. BAM says that they can replace the original disks with bronze clutch disks to handle more horsepower. My problem is that these are the original Merc trannies rated to 500 HP, and now I have 550 HP per engine. Not crazy about spending 5-7 thousand just to upgrade to the Velvets.
Their OK. Just let BAM upgrade and try and find a spare for future use.

It will take a while to break those trannies after the upgrades, and they are not that expensive to have fixed considering the expensive alternative of upgrading the drives to anything.
Old 09-21-2007, 11:03 PM
Registered

I agree with jeff1000man. Fix them and enjoy the boat. All of the alternatives are costly and still are not unbreakable. Craig will do you right.
Jim
Old 09-21-2007, 11:06 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Wheneer I find those things on ebay I usually type TRS into the search line of the first screen. Don't search from ebay motors because sometimes you miss stuff. You will have to sort through all of the old Tandy computer and chinease motorcycle chit, but you will find deals on the parts.

If you need an extra gimble or transom plates I have them and I need to get them out of my shop. PM me an offer on them and I will send you one to keep for a spare.
Old 09-23-2007, 08:10 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

Tom,
Sounds like you are on the road to recovery? How long does Craiag think it will take to get you back in the water? Are you going to pressure test the transmision oil coolers or just replace them? Keep us informed.

Dail
Old 09-23-2007, 06:08 PM
Registered

Hi Dail

Yes, Craig is going to pressure test the transmission cooler that has the water in it, and replace it if he finds a leak. Craig said that it will take a week or so to rebuild the transmission so I would guess total time is two weeks, maybe three.

I just might make it back out in the Atlantic before November.

Tom
Old 09-23-2007, 06:32 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Great news Tom. Keep us posted on what is going on. Where is Craig's shop. Let me know the next time you plan to go over if you want company.

Dail
Old 09-23-2007, 07:53 PM
Registered

OK Dail,

I will let you know before I go pick it up. Craig is well known for his work on OSS race teams as well as many members here on OSO. He did a great job on the Scarab, and I would not take the Sutphen to anyone else. Here is a thread about satisfied OSO members, and Craig's work.

http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/s...ight=colabella
Old 09-23-2007, 08:33 PM
Registered

Default TRS Drives

I am buying a 29 mirrage with the trs drives and merc tranies. One trans is fried and the other is good. I guess the best thing is to send them to BAM? Any idea how much for a rebuild? Just a rough idea?
Old 09-23-2007, 08:40 PM
Registered

Rebuilds for a Merc tranny is around $800-1200. They sell rebuilt BW Velvet units here, so I guess the Merc trannies would be close in price.

http://www.go-fast.com/transmission_specials.htm

Last edited by White Knuckles; 09-23-2007 at 08:44 PM.

Quick Reply: Problem with my TRS drive

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.