Oval Heads (Peanut)??? >

Oval Heads (Peanut)???

Notices

Oval Heads (Peanut)???

Old 10-01-2007, 03:05 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Oval Heads (Peanut)???

Are these oval heads??? I am going to be getting a new intake and have these heads worked but I just wanted to make sure these are the old oval (peanut heads) My engine is a 1987 454mag.
Attached Thumbnails Oval Heads (Peanut)???-hpim2079.jpg  
Old 10-01-2007, 03:11 PM
Registered

Default I posted in the wrong place...

Frick!!! I posted this in drives... Can a moderater please move this to General Tech.
Old 10-01-2007, 03:46 PM
Were doomed!
Charter Member

Received 981 Likes on 497 Posts

they do look like it...but an easier way to check would be to pull the valve cover off...look at the casting numbers and crosss reference them here: http://www.mortec.com/bbc.htm

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy horsepower. And I've never seen a sad person hauling a$$!
Old 10-01-2007, 04:11 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Wally
they do look like it...but an easier way to check would be to pull the valve cover off...look at the casting numbers and crosss reference them here: http://www.mortec.com/bbc.htm

Thanks for the info!! I will check them out.
Old 10-01-2007, 04:13 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Those are definitly peanut ports. The older oval ports from the late 70's early 80's are much better.
Old 10-01-2007, 04:38 PM
Registered

Received 78 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by PatriYacht
Those are definitly peanut ports. The older oval ports from the late 70's early 80's are much better.
Ian is right! Those are defiantely the "peanut port" heads. The older design GM oval port heads are much better....such as the "049" castings. The runners are a little bit larger and are a better casting (HP wise) to start with.

The "peanut port" heads come with hardened seats and can still be modified with larger valves and do some pocket/bowl short side radius porting and will take more work to get them flowing better. The older better flowing "049" castings can have larger valves installed as well and must have hardend seats installed with stainless valves, but won't take as much work as the "peanut port" heads to flow well.

The peanut port heads were used in a project done by the late John Lingenfelter back in the 1990's on a 496cid street engine. John installed the larger 2.19" intake valves and 1.88" exhaust valves and did some bowl/pocket porting and short side radius work. I cannot remember how much HP the 496cid engine made on John's dyno, but it was pretty impressive.
Old 10-01-2007, 05:11 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Yes, thats them. I had them in my 454 in my jetboat. Back in 2000, I Swapped out for rectangular port heads, larger cam and intake, it really livened things up.
Old 10-01-2007, 08:35 PM
Registered

Received 1,249 Likes on 604 Posts

if your looking to redo your peanut port heads, I have a set of GM HI performance heads that have about 40 hours on their refreshening. it might be cheaper than you redoing yours. They have been cut to 114.5cc's, and pocket ported. They are on my Merc 425's I am changing to different heads and building more power. if interested let me know
Old 10-02-2007, 02:32 PM
Registered

Rookie???

Originally Posted by Rookie
if your looking to redo your peanut port heads, I have a set of GM HI performance heads that have about 40 hours on their refreshening. it might be cheaper than you redoing yours. They have been cut to 114.5cc's, and pocket ported. They are on my Merc 425's I am changing to different heads and building more power. if interested let me know

Hello Rookie please PM me a price or post it if you would like. Are Alum or steel? What all would be included? Thanks for the reply.
Old 10-02-2007, 04:05 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Redoing old heads can be very expensive. Inconel exhaust valves are about 40.00 ea. Then you have valve guides and seats too. It's a lot cheaper to find a set of high perf. heads from a newer boat. Or buy the Edelbrock marine heads. Great performance at a low price.

Quick Reply: Oval Heads (Peanut)???

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.