Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > Drives and Lower Units
switching from XR to HT B-max >

switching from XR to HT B-max

Notices

switching from XR to HT B-max

Old 12-26-2007, 09:29 AM
Registered

Received 139 Likes on 61 Posts

Again, what kind of pwr did these boats have??

12 failures w/ one boat seems unreal and zero failures w/ the bravo????

Am I missing something??
Old 12-30-2007, 07:30 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here is a question for the B max owners. The B Max isn't designed to run the exhaust throught the drive, BUT, what if you keep all the silent choice set up, and let the exhaust come out the transom like designed, only to bubble to the surface around the drive? Only doing this off plane of course. Does anyone see a problem with that?
Old 12-30-2007, 09:22 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 32 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by articfriends
I'm under the impression that B-max only sells there drive with merc 1.36 lower gears or the other steep lower gears because the 1.36 gears have poven to be slightly more durable. I do know they are using merc lower gears,not some extra strong aftermarket version or anything. Has anyone tried re-gearing the drive with merc 15/19 1.50 lower gears? By cryoing then giving the lower gears a multi-step surface treatment that ends with them having a very smooth finish I have gotten the 15/19 1.50 gears to last much longer then they ever did in stock form on my boat with a bravo drive. My understanding is that most boats go slower when switching to a B-max because of the extra friction of the larger upper gears and bearings but what I'm wodering is if some guys are losing speed from the overall gearing and re-propping why not try going back to 15/19 lower gears once the warranty is up,Smitty

This is as true of a statement I have read. I have 2 friends with similiar problems. One still has them on, the other sold his. Both loss of speeds, failures, and warranty just plain sucks. As ya'll know, Im not a bravo guy, Iv'e had my share of the weak link breaking. Speedmaster drives or there is alot to be said about the simplicity of these Arneson drives. It is the only two ways I would go, Ive had both and love them. Good Luck guys, Happy New Year.
Old 12-30-2007, 03:03 PM
Registered

Jassman,
What kind of pwr are your friends running?
Concerning the warr- Was that the service or the warr period?
Old 12-30-2007, 04:09 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 32 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by tomcei
Jassman,
What kind of pwr are your friends running?
Concerning the warr- Was that the service or the warr period?

725-800 hp.
one has been waiting for parts for ever and the other..a night mare, lost speed, like over 10 mph vs the bravo's...If you get a chance do a search. Jeff
Old 12-31-2007, 08:52 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm with you on the surface drive option, but for those of us with singles, its not so atractive, sadly.
Old 01-02-2008, 04:40 PM
Rob
VIP Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Back4More
Could you guys post some pics of the B-max's on your boat.
I would like to see some other setups.
Here's what we did.

I have some picks of my new HT's at the house,ill try and post
Attached Thumbnails switching from XR to HT B-max-b-max-hann-2.jpg   switching from XR to HT B-max-lower-2.jpg   switching from XR to HT B-max-hustler-prop-035.jpg  

The Only Time You Have To Much Ammo Is When Your Swimming Or On Fire.
Old 01-02-2008, 04:43 PM
Rob
VIP Member

Attached Thumbnails switching from XR to HT B-max-11-07-1-193.jpg   switching from XR to HT B-max-11-07-1-197.jpg  

Old 01-02-2008, 07:16 PM
Registered

Strip,
How has the service been on them?
Is Dean the only one who works on them?

Did you have a 1.50 gear before changing to Bmax?
Did you re prop?
Sorry about all the questions. I'm looking for a drive system to match some new pwr.
Thanks
Old 01-03-2008, 01:45 AM
Rob
VIP Member

Originally Posted by tomcei
Strip,
How has the service been on them?
Is Dean the only one who works on them?

Did you have a 1.50 gear before changing to Bmax?
Did you re prop?
Sorry about all the questions. I'm looking for a drive system to match some new pwr.
Thanks
Service is good to so/so. He could do better,My boat came with the B Max"'s 1.30 gears before I bought it anticipating of putting Whipple's on it.,I went up from 24 stock to 32's.with the Whipple's. Dean stood behind them for three years with different probs , these were 2001 drives, I now Have the new HT's for 2007.When I got the new ones I bought a extra lower because the lower gears are the week link (as all bravo style lowers are)and If it broke on vacation Id have a spare and wouldn't ruin a vacation.I think there may be a couple of other shops that do warranty work ,but I would send it back to Dean,Any prob he turns it back around quick if he has parts. I broke a vert shaft on the old drive 2 years ago in July,I sent it over night on Tues to him,he put the shaft in it and shipped it back out that Wed. I didn't miss a weekend.

You will have to reprop unless you raise your rpm level ie more power.

I guess over the Bravo1 and the B Max is around 2 mph loss ,Some Ive even seen no loss on one Hustler. On the higher HP boats or cats there going to have to go up in gear anyway,1.30 1.2somting , he"s even got one cat that running 1.1.The foot is thick on the skeg, I worked it pretty good ,an almost got it polished out.I know for a fact that the B Max lower VS stock lower foot it didn't hurt it , It was about the same in speed , I was hitting 100-101 pretty easy in the right water, Now it has hit 102 a few times.You can see theres Not much boat in the water in pick.

I would buy them again.

Hope this helpsRob
Attached Thumbnails switching from XR to HT B-max-gps-07-007-large-.jpg   switching from XR to HT B-max-hustler-388-resize-001-medium-.jpg   switching from XR to HT B-max-windsheild-4-29-2007-026-large-.jpg  

Quick Reply: switching from XR to HT B-max

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.