TRS Replacement options >

TRS Replacement options

Notices

TRS Replacement options

Old 12-20-2007, 06:40 AM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

NJSONIC what were your final speed numbers with the conversion from Bravo's to the Ace? I seem to recall that you lost 3 MPH but thought that with props you would get that back? Thanks for any real world info.

Jon
Old 12-20-2007, 08:59 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm not sure how anyone can say that konrads are the least expensive way to go vs a ssm drive ?? The price that I got on just drives, not labor was about $12,500 each drive on konrads. Labor out of the pic, I can buy rebuilt/new 3A's from several people currently for less than that. If you already have the gimbles set up and everyone talks about "its just a helmet swap" then labor is really the same and not the issue. What am I missing here guys ??
Old 12-20-2007, 09:51 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by shoregasm
I'm not sure how anyone can say that konrads are the least expensive way to go vs a ssm drive ?? The price that I got on just drives, not labor was about $12,500 each drive on konrads. Labor out of the pic, I can buy rebuilt/new 3A's from several people currently for less than that. If you already have the gimbles set up and everyone talks about "its just a helmet swap" then labor is really the same and not the issue. What am I missing here guys ??
This reply doesn't address the Konrad / SSM conversion...but this is my experience with a Konrad / TRS swap.

I invested in Konrads to replace my old TRS drives this past summer in my 1989 Cafe Racer. Spent a total of 35k, including removing engines, rebuilding trannys, replacing the stuff under the engines that you just can't get to with the engines in place, and new props. In had all of this done at a respectable performance shop, MDG Performance in Md.
They have alot of experience with Konrad conversions and actually had already done a few on Cafe Racers before. This was the most logical way to go for me. I am now confident about the driveline. And...no more TRS worries.

The Konrad conversion is said to be somewhat cumbersome without pulling the engines. Yes it can be done. But, I really didn't want to take any shortcuts. I'm glad I had it done this way. I'm pushing close to 600 hp per side & the TRS drives would not hold up. Having fresh tranny rebuilds was anothe bonus.

Yes it was alot of money, but I think well spent. Will I ever recoupe all of the investment ? Probably not, especially with todays market. I'm quite confident though that the Konrads vs.TRS will help when selling, if I ever decide to unload it in the future.

But for now, who wants a short boating season. I have had too many in the past. I can't afford a late model CIG. so I just have to make the best of what I have.

Just my opinion.

Tommy
Old 12-20-2007, 11:09 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Originally Posted by excalibur27
This reply doesn't address the Konrad / SSM conversion...but this is my experience with a Konrad / TRS swap.

I invested in Konrads to replace my old TRS drives this past summer in my 1989 Cafe Racer. Spent a total of 35k, including removing engines, rebuilding trannys, replacing the stuff under the engines that you just can't get to with the engines in place, and new props. In had all of this done at a respectable performance shop, MDG Performance in Md.
They have alot of experience with Konrad conversions and actually had already done a few on Cafe Racers before. This was the most logical way to go for me. I am now confident about the driveline. And...no more TRS worries.

The Konrad conversion is said to be somewhat cumbersome without pulling the engines. Yes it can be done. But, I really didn't want to take any shortcuts. I'm glad I had it done this way. I'm pushing close to 600 hp per side & the TRS drives would not hold up. Having fresh tranny rebuilds was anothe bonus.

Yes it was alot of money, but I think well spent. Will I ever recoupe all of the investment ? Probably not, especially with todays market. I'm quite confident though that the Konrads vs.TRS will help when selling, if I ever decide to unload it in the future.

But for now, who wants a short boating season. I have had too many in the past. I can't afford a late model CIG. so I just have to make the best of what I have.

Just my opinion.

Tommy
Tommy,

Did you get a chance this season to see how they compare speed and handling wise with the TRS drives? Are you running the same props?

Nice looking boat.
Old 12-20-2007, 11:46 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Jammin'
Tommy,

Did you get a chance this season to see how they compare speed and handling wise with the TRS drives? Are you running the same props?

Nice looking boat.
Jammin',

Went from Hydromotive Quad 4 25 pitch to Bravo 4-blade 26 pitch, as recommended by the installer. Handles similar at cruising speeds. Just need more tab to get it up on plane. The Konrads don't sit so deep as the TRS. Don't really have much time on them...it was the end of the season and I still was going through the recommended break in procedure. Not sure of the top end speed yet. Have to wait til' spring. If necessary....Konrad makes a spacer to adjust the X-dimension. I'll have more time to play with it then.

Tommy
Old 12-20-2007, 12:11 PM
Registered

Received 161 Likes on 80 Posts

Replaced my Trs's with Konrads in an afternoon with simple tools. No big deal. Didn't pull the motors, just a bolt up. Talk with Konrad or Biggus (Kurt Flachbart) on the phone, he will talk you though the process. Customer service was great. Add value to your boat. Gained some MPH with the setup. They are a little shorter in the water, more streamlined and I was able to spin the motors up to 5400 rpm and also instead of running Mirage Pluses because I wanted slip to save my TRS's. I now run 4 blade bravos. By the way the boat is a flat deck mistress.
Old 12-20-2007, 12:27 PM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,932 Likes on 971 Posts

Go with Konrads. Off set the cost by selling the TRS's.
Old 12-20-2007, 01:31 PM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by shoregasm
You are not missing anything except for the talk about parts getting harder to find. Of course they have been saying that TRS parts are impossible and I have yet to run into an issue.
Old 12-20-2007, 02:53 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Audiofn,
Yes I lost some speed I havn't done anything with the props yet. I will be getting the correct props for this summer. The test props (stock Maximus)I ran showed approx 3mph slower at WOT with full load on board. I will post true numbers when I get the props that will be labbed for my boat.