XR Sportmaster=Lost MPH ? >

XR Sportmaster=Lost MPH ?

Notices

XR Sportmaster=Lost MPH ?

Old 12-28-2007, 05:23 PM
Airking
VIP Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Pics of new 32 Glassteam being built. Sorry guys I am computer stupid. It says files are too large and need to resize. Maybe someone can tell me how to do this. Gary

Last edited by Boater8987; 12-28-2007 at 05:27 PM.
Old 12-29-2007, 09:01 AM
Registered

Guys - I also have a 36 Spectre with XR Sportmasters - but stock length. It was also a MDG boat, but rigged with MDG 650's. I picked it up from Pr-Roc in November and am getting it ready for next summer. Just minor paint touch up, interior, etc.

My question - How have the XR's lasted on your boat? I'm considering B-Maxes since I don't want to deal with blown outdrives next year. What was your experience?

Thanks,
Jeff
Old 12-29-2007, 11:59 AM
Airking
VIP Member

Hey Jeff, I have not had any big issues with the sportmasters, only with the lower xr standard casings cracking.I lost

a few mph but worth the trade off in duribility. My friend owns a Spectre with the same motors like yours his runs max 118mph with the stock xr lowers and nose cones from Spectre. I have teague tortional vertical shafts and max machine worx clutch shafts. Only trouble I had was self inflicted, hit a sumerged tree and knocked a chuck out of the starboard skeg and broke a prop blade. I took the unit apart and inspected for gear damage, looked OK. My friend who helps me build my drives cut the damage out to a rectangular shape and welded up, good as new. I stuffed a wet towel in the gear housing before he welded it to make sure it did not distort gear and bearing area. Most xr damage is caused by driver error and improper throttle control. You Must perform periodic inspections and maintenance to catch
any wear and tear before they explode and ruin the housings and every thing. Read all the threads from, John the drive man, Mr Gadgets, Artic Friends, Panther etc. to learn all this imfo. I did change to imco tramsom assy, my mercs had some wear in the upper pins and bushings. I removed them and rebuilt and sold to Don at offshore performance for $3000 and spent $8000 for the imco's. This was done at the 100 hr mark. If I were you I would have them torn down and inspected before you run the boat. Just my 2 cents. You can call me if you like,
Gary 703-477-9071 or contact one of the guys listed above they can do the work for you. I only work on my own drives, still learning from the pro's.