Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > Drives and Lower Units
Question...  Bravo 1 oil leak. >

Question... Bravo 1 oil leak.

Notices

Question... Bravo 1 oil leak.

Old 02-12-2008, 01:52 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just an idea - I had one that would leak down overnight - but it took literally all night. Spraying it down with soapy water yielded nothing .....

so I go steal the neighbor kids little swimming pool - submerge the drive in the pool with the pressure tester pumped to 15lbs - open a beer - and wait. Found out the shift shaft seal was leaking.... and the beer was cold!!!

Just an idea!

Capt Ross
Old 02-12-2008, 07:48 PM
Registered

Well, after looking at the case more closely today, I'm positive it's that piece behind the low water intake that is leaking. Looking down the passage way past the quad seal there is an area where liquid can collect, but the only thing there was water, but further down the passage way is a nice litttle puddle of oil. It's gotta be coming from around that "puck".

Looks like I'll be buying a few more special tools to add to my collection, to get everything taken apart and put back together correctly.

Thanks for the help guys.. I'll let you know how it goes...
Old 02-12-2008, 08:07 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When sscomp found this problem I was amazed at the poor engineering. It seemed to be a very bad way to transform a standard lower into a low water pickup without a lot of extra work. They should be ashamed. "rogue"
Old 02-12-2008, 10:43 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by formula31
When sscomp found this problem I was amazed at the poor engineering. It seemed to be a very bad way to transform a standard lower into a low water pickup without a lot of extra work. They should be ashamed. "rogue"
Yeah, that's what I'm beginning to think myself...
Old 02-24-2008, 07:03 PM
Registered

Just wanted to follow up with my repair in case someone else experiences this same problem.

So, I ended up ordering a few special tools so I could disassemble the lower unit. Once I got the gears and bearing removed I pulled that large lower bearing race out. And once I got that out of the way I could clearly see the "puck" (for lack of a better word). At this point I stuck a long flat head screwdriver though the water intake holes and it wasn't hard to knock the puck out...it wasn't pressed in there that tightly. Once I got it out I cleaned everything up and mixed up a fresh batch of JB Weld. I applied a small amount along the flanged area inside the lower unit, I also applied a small amount of lock-tight on the puck itself. It slid back into place without too much trouble. And that was pretty much it. I reassembled the lower unit serviced it with oil and no more leak...

Once again this forum and the people who participate in it have proved to be invaluable.

Thanks for your help guys...

Gary
Old 02-24-2008, 07:11 PM
Registered

Glad you were able to fix it. I'm on my 3rd season...no problems.
Old 08-17-2010, 07:48 PM
Ginger or Mary Ann?
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Anyone know if this puck is also held in place by the front bearing race, or just the slight press fit? Mine has leaked a few drops of lube over winter the last 3 yrs and my gearlube is always discolored when I change it, regardless of hrs, so I'm leaning towards the puck
Old 08-17-2010, 08:01 PM
Registered

It's cryo fitted. Puck is frozen and put into place. JB weld is still working for me.
Old 08-18-2010, 05:32 PM
Ginger or Mary Ann?
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Going to try to remove the lower and degrease the water side of the puck, then squirt some penetrating lock tight thru the water pickup port and see if it will be enough to seal it. I don't want to tear the lower apart again, if the puck has to be beat out. My oil level doesn't rise, it's just not clean looking even after only 15 hrs. What ever it is, right now it's very minute, but don't want to risk wiping it all out either.

I asume you have to make sure there is no JB Weld on the inside so not to risk it chipping off?
Old 05-25-2011, 03:59 PM
Registered

SSComp,
Thanks for your posts on the leaking "puck" in your outdrive. I used your posts to troubleshoot mine and found the same problem. I bet this has helped many others as well.

ps. I tried to PM you but your mailbox was full. I hope you get this post.

Thanks again!!!!!

Quick Reply: Question... Bravo 1 oil leak.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.