Bravo 1 gimble repair - help

Notices

Bravo 1 gimble repair - help

Old 02-21-2008, 02:29 PM
LZH
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Bravo 1 gimble repair - help

My guy who is workin on my drives (bravo 1) says my gimble rings may be bad. He said there is to much up/down movement and has proposed a modification to the upper pin where he cuts a section out and installs a removeable metal plate to make adjustments. Here's what the invoice say:

"Labor to replace both worn out gimble rings, both vertical shafts, lower pivot shafts, upper shaft seals, cut open transom assembly to gain access to the adjustment nut, drill and tap required holes, install stainless access plate and sea trial boat after all repairs are complete."

Is this a commonly used procedure when gimble rings/transom assemblies go bad ??

Last edited by LZH; 02-21-2008 at 02:46 PM.
Old 02-21-2008, 03:07 PM
OSO Moderator
Charter Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It is easier to remove the motor and will look better.
If the gimbal housing is too far gone, you'll need to replace it and thus the motor will still need to come out. There is a stainless steel pivot pin (forget who makes it - search) and it will be MUCH better. Yes that procedure is accurate if the motor stay in the boat.

My boat is currently having the housing replaced. The other one was done last year.

More info - search "upper pivot pin"

'00 Scarab Sport 302 CC
'02 Cigarette Top Gun TS
'02 PQ 340
'00 PQ 280
'98 Scarab 22
'97 Baja Outlaw 20
'72 Checkmate
'65 Glastron
Old 02-21-2008, 03:11 PM
LZH
Registered

Thanks man
Old 02-21-2008, 03:59 PM
Registered

I'm telling you dude ,try my friend Ray (760)948-6459. He has all kinds of spare parts. He replaced the upper pin on at least one of my drives,cut the holes in the transom plates, diassembled the rusted out upper pins(corrosion from salt water).replaced all the seals ,drilled out the seized pivot screws (for the trim-7 out of 8), replace one broken shifter cable (good used one),installed some really nice stainless cover plates over the repairs. Now the drives have NO PLAY in them and hopefully the boat won't take on water anymore(and my drive plates sit under water off plane)--and he did it for----are you ready------$500.00 at my shop. Now, this was a smokin deal to me, it took two full days of grinding and drilling and I realize he under bid the job, but, I have done work on his cars and I am trying to get him more work also (as in now). I cannot relay in words what a good job he did and he really knows his stuff.Mike
Attached Thumbnails Bravo 1 gimble repair - help-boat-drive1.jpg   Bravo 1 gimble repair - help-drive2.jpg   Bravo 1 gimble repair - help-drive1.jpg  

Old 02-24-2008, 11:28 AM
AT Cult Member #3
VIP Member

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Contact Ron Bender at J-R Marine
Old 02-24-2008, 11:30 AM
AT Cult Member #3
VIP Member

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

www.jrmarine.com
Old 02-24-2008, 11:58 AM
Registered

Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by R Addiction
Measure the part(s) before you use them.....diameters were over-size compared to a stock mercury part, they wouldn't return all my money!
Old 02-24-2008, 05:47 PM
Registered

Received 235 Likes on 118 Posts

Originally Posted by fountain40icbm
Measure the part(s) before you use them.....diameters were over-size compared to a stock mercury part, they wouldn't return all my money!
What parts are you talking about,Pin?Ring?
Old 02-24-2008, 07:19 PM
LZH
Registered

this page is interesting....

http://www.jrmarine.com/products/gimbal_repair.htm
Thx for the info guys - very much appreciated.
Old 02-25-2008, 08:30 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

if you want to try the repairs w/out pulling the motors I have 2 of their plate kits that I ended up not using (my motors ended up coming out anyway) let me know if your interested and just for the record I thought Ron at JR was a great guy to deal with

Quick Reply: Bravo 1 gimble repair - help

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.