Need help on choosing drives >

Need help on choosing drives

Notices

Need help on choosing drives

Old 03-21-2008, 11:01 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help on choosing drives

I am looking for info for my friends boat. He is currently running a 32' Advantage with twin HO 500 502's and Bravo 1's. I have heard that the bravos are notoriously weak. Problem is he wants a little more speed and is looking to do it reliably and not have to spend an arm and a leg on it. We are currently looking into putting a supercharger setup on both of the motors. More than likely it will be Procharger M2's or M3's. Just wondering what the best course of action would be with the drives so we don't completely overpower them. If needed what drives would be a decent replacement as we do not want to spend 20 grand on each drive if we do not have to. Any info would be greatly appreciated
Old 03-22-2008, 04:43 AM
I hate the winter!!
Platinum Member

Most of us with that amount of power are runnng XR's or Imco's successfully. However, they are by no means bullet proof. Most importantly. they have to be set up correctly and driven with respect. There are a few guys here who have tried treating the gears. The process has proven successful. I am one of the guinnea pigs, who had good luck with it.
Old 03-22-2008, 10:51 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

With that supercharger set-up, IMCO Teague or Max drives would all be fine. Just don't nail the throttle coming out of the hole and make sure its not under power when it enters the water and you'll be fine.
Old 03-22-2008, 11:03 PM
Registered

Like anything else....If you treat it like chit, then it will end up a P.O.S.

That's my .02

Good night everyone. Have a Happy Easter
Old 03-22-2008, 11:18 PM
LZH
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ToMorrow44
With that supercharger set-up, IMCO Teague or Max drives would all be fine. Just don't nail the throttle coming out of the hole and make sure its not under power when it enters the water and you'll be fine.
I aree with your hole shot easy on the throtles...but its my understanding that if you get out of the water, you gotta be off the throttle and then right back on them the second you come back into the water....otherwise the props take a massive jolt and transfer it all back into the lower gears....not to mention if you dont get back on the power it's like slamming on the brakes.
Please correct me if I am wrong but that that is how I've been told is the correct way to re enter the water after catching air.

To the OP - Bravos CAN last behind big power, but you really have to baby them to make them last and there's no fun in that.
Old 03-22-2008, 11:58 PM
Registered

Thanks guys this does help, those were the drives I kind of had in mind but I prefer to get the opinions of people who actually use them. Rather than just the guy at the marine shop. I'm guessing he would probably go with XR's or the IMCO's as they are close to the same price. Out of the two which would be the better bet. He doesn't like to holeshot this boat...especally with his bravos he has on there now. Thanks for your time
Old 03-23-2008, 01:31 AM
Registered

Received 28 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by vulcan160081
Thanks guys this does help, those were the drives I kind of had in mind but I prefer to get the opinions of people who actually use them. Rather than just the guy at the marine shop. I'm guessing he would probably go with XR's or the IMCO's as they are close to the same price. Out of the two which would be the better bet. He doesn't like to holeshot this boat...especally with his bravos he has on there now. Thanks for your time
You also have the option of B-Max. I also run ProCharged M3 and have run about 800 hp with no problems. I could break a Bravo at will on a glass flat lake.
Old 03-23-2008, 05:27 AM
I hate the winter!!
Platinum Member

vulcan,

If you had the choice between Imcos and XRs, I would say Imco. The shafts are a bit stronger, as well as some of the bearings. They come with a billet lower bearing carrier also. Beware... all I can say is set-up, set-up, set-up... I was just talking to someone yesterday from this board who was inspecting an almost new Imco , the set up was not right. It took quite a bit of adjustment.
Old 03-23-2008, 01:55 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by LZH
I aree with your hole shot easy on the throtles...but its my understanding that if you get out of the water, you gotta be off the throttle and then right back on them the second you come back into the water....otherwise the props take a massive jolt and transfer it all back into the lower gears....not to mention if you dont get back on the power it's like slamming on the brakes.
Please correct me if I am wrong but that that is how I've been told is the correct way to re enter the water after catching air.

To the OP - Bravos CAN last behind big power, but you really have to baby them to make them last and there's no fun in that.
You're absolutely correct and thats what I meant by make sure it's not under power when entering the water.

I run a TCM Platinum XR behind an TCM 800efi in a 27 Victory and haven't had any issues. Yes you have to be easy on it in certain situations, but you should not see a single problem with them on a 32 victory with 750hp as long as youre smart. TCM and IMCO are very similar and definitely one of those over a Merc XR.
Old 03-24-2008, 07:21 AM
Registered

I installed a Drive temp gage in my boat last fall. I feel it gives me a faily good feel for how hard the drive is working. If I run fast for a longer than normal period, I see the temps climb ! I then back off, or even come off plane and let the drive cool down some. It's a cheap gage to buy too.

Also, I did a little test with a drive shower, and found NO difference in internal oil temperature. I feel a drive shower in high hp aplications only keeps the outer case clean. Thats it. IMHO.

Quick Reply: Need help on choosing drives

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.