Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > Drives and Lower Units
Bravo Drive Rotation >

Bravo Drive Rotation

Notices

Bravo Drive Rotation

Old 03-27-2008, 02:59 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thats why this year I moved the starboard drive to Port side and the Port to Starboard side and swapped props back to try and evenly wear the gears top and bottom. Thats correct on how to spin a bravo the other way. Both props spin in but I heard on deep V's without a step sometimes work better spinning out. So when I swapped drives I changed the cable mount points at the shifters before I swapped props back around. Lost a little top end so I changed it back to spinning in. It was easyer to dock though with them spinning out.
Old 06-04-2023, 09:24 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Very important

Originally Posted by speedreeder
LH rotation on a bravo, Loads the top gear and wants to shove it out the top cap. RH rotation puts the load on the "floor" of the drive so it will last longer.
I leaned the hard way that if you put 500hp on a bravo 1, you need to use the lower gear going forward or else you’re gonna send the top gear out the top cap and damage everything in the upper including the housing where the lower bearing is.

in my opinion, where the engine max HP is near the the rated HP of the drive, it becomes more and more important
Old 06-05-2023, 05:45 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 261 Likes on 145 Posts

They break stuff when using the lower gears as forward too.

If it’s not the tower in the std bravo case, the’ll push the pinion gear/bearings out the front when the case snout breaks on an X case when a gear tooth breaks off and tries to make its way between the drive and driven gears.
The following users liked this post:
RedBoatFl (06-06-2023)
Old 06-05-2023, 12:31 PM
Registered

Received 526 Likes on 313 Posts

Originally Posted by Maxime113
I leaned the hard way that if you put 500hp on a bravo 1, you need to use the lower gear going forward or else you’re gonna send the top gear out the top cap and damage everything in the upper including the housing where the lower bearing is.

in my opinion, where the engine max HP is near the the rated HP of the drive, it becomes more and more important
Only relevant in single applications.
Due to counter rotation achieved in the upper of Bravo drives, a twin engine situation one drive will be lower, other side upper.
The following users liked this post:
Griff (06-05-2023)