Trim Pump / Motor Won't Run >

Trim Pump / Motor Won't Run

Notices

Trim Pump / Motor Won't Run

Old 04-08-2008, 08:36 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Trim Pump / Motor Won't Run

1998 Baja Islander 190 with 5.7 Merc / 250hp and Alpha 1 Gen 2 drive. I brought boat home from storage today and connected battery in order to lower drive to the full down position. I have the up/down toggle switch on the shifter and a separate "trailer" switch also on the shifter. When I actuate the toggle either up or down, I get nothing except "clicking" from the solenoid(s). Nothing happens when I press the trailer switch either. To start troubleshooting I removed the green wire terminal (down) from its solenoid and ran a jumper straight from the positive post of the battery to the green wire terminal. Nothing at all. Am I correct to believe that I should have had some movement or noise from the motor here (if it were ok) or am I not thinking correctly about this? I am suspecting a bad motor, but I would sure like to confirm it before I open my wallet. Can anyone help me further troubleshoot this. I'm not sure about the condition of the battery (used boat), but the blower and bilge ran strong today. 12.7 volts with the meter, but I realize that is with no load. Thank you
Old 04-09-2008, 08:54 AM
Were doomed!
Charter Member

Received 1,172 Likes on 587 Posts

if you dissconnected the blue or green wire from the solenoids and hooked battery power to them then the motor should work.....assuming theres a good ground on the black wire from the motor. If you get nothing try tapping the body of the motor with the hadle of a screwdriver....that may loosen up the insides enough to get it going and may eve work the rest of the season. If not you can always take the motor off or the entire pump if thats easier for you and take it to a local shop that can repair alternators and starters.....ive done 3 like that and had good results each time

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy horsepower. And I've never seen a sad person hauling a$$!
Old 04-09-2008, 08:56 AM
Registered

Yo - Keep clickin!! Bet $$ it's the solenoid.... Not uncommon at all especially after sitting for some time.
Old 04-09-2008, 09:13 AM
Registered

Thanks Wally, great tip on taking the motor to a shop, it's a pretty expensive little gadget! I got to thinking about the ground last night as well. I thought today after work I would remove the black wire and run a known good ground to it and see what happens. I will try some tapping persuasion as well. Thank you very much. I will post back what I find.
Old 04-09-2008, 09:33 AM
Registered

If the solenoids aren't the problem, it's best if you have someone hitting the trim button while you tap it. Sometimes working the trim button back and forth to help shake it loose. My buddy just went through this Sunday. Combination of a bad solenoid and a motor starting to be uncooperative.
Old 04-09-2008, 10:09 AM
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts

Take it off and bring it to me, we have a full blown electrical shop at my work. We have fixed many boat parts at "work".

Give me a call I can come over and beat on it with a hammer while you work the switch.