Notices

Bracvo 1 transom

Old 05-08-2008, 07:24 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bracvo 1 transom

Question guys, noticed lots of steering play, when I took off tie bar major play just steering, pulled drives notice gimball ring seems to be sitting down low- I can see steering shaft above gimball ring from outside boat. I have read and plan to pull transom off have new gimball etc havent gotten shafts etc untill see what I need. with this settling am I looking at a major mess or think the nut has just loosened and let things drop down thanks Randy
Old 05-08-2008, 08:58 AM
sandman
Gold Member

Hey Randy, I'm doing the same thing to my 93 Nordic. I got my port side assembly off the boat and other than needing new bushings it appears that the upper pivot pin dropped down a bit and and caused excessive wear. I'm thinking about going to the machine shop and having it welded up and turned down (like doing a crank journal) instead of paying the 200+ dollars for a new one. Also the exhaust block off plate was corroded enough to cause leaking. Almost all the studs and bolts that secure the gimbal housing to the inner transom plate showed enough corrosion to be replaced. Also had to replace the ujoint bellows. www.ebasicpower.com and mercstuff.com are good sources. good luck......Casey
Old 05-08-2008, 12:09 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Thanks Casey for the input, I am pulling mine this weekend, you are having the wear and work done to the upper pin square/round? Randy
Old 05-08-2008, 02:02 PM
sandman
Gold Member

The round portion of the pin that fits into the bushing is what im repairing. The lower square of the pin that fits into the gimbal ring is ok. I tested this by inserting the pin into the ring and torqing it (the ring u-bolt) down.