Notices

cone clutch

Old 05-16-2008, 09:02 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default cone clutch

Need some help from all you outdrive guru's... what happens when a cone clutch in a bravo 1 starts to go any tell tale signs, any feed back is greatly appreciated Thanks....
Old 05-16-2008, 09:13 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 260 Likes on 144 Posts

A delayed, soft shift is one of the symptoms.
Old 05-16-2008, 09:38 AM
Charter Member #601
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

John,
What troubles are you having? It might be easier to answer the question with some input.
It is best to look at shift linkage before you condem a clutch. They do wear out, and can clunk into gear or slip. Missadjusted linkage can do similar things.
What are the symptoms of your situation?

Dick
Old 05-16-2008, 09:48 AM
Registered

Default cone clutch

Thanks for the reply. It shifts into gear with a slight clunk. what happens is i'll be running and it seems the prop breaks loose acts like the outdrive is trimmed way up. At first thought it was the prop but it's done this with 3 to 4 different props. Does not blow out out of the hole, thinking the clutch is slipping. When it does this have to come off of plane and take off again.
Old 05-16-2008, 07:26 PM
Charter Member #601
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Normally the clutch will be driven into the gear and locks itself in. It may slip while going in, but after that it stays locked in, until shifted out of gear.
Are there any other tell tale signs, metal on the magnets? The coupler comes to mind, but when they quit, they quit, so thats not it.
How fast are you going when it happens? Any possiblity that it is bad water to the prop and it is actually slipping? How about in turns? If it happens while going straight, have you tried to turn either way and see what effect it has? That would tell you if it is bad water to the prop. If you are getting air in the water to the prop, turning might clear it and let the prop rehook.. just a thought.
I did find one drive that had a piece of a thrust bearing inside the clutch, gear area that was preventing a drive from going into gear, but like I say, once that cone locks into the gear.. it is there..
Hope this helps..
Old 05-20-2008, 04:00 PM
Registered

i have worked on a few bravos and never seen them slip like you say once in the more power the more force it seems to hold it in i have seen the gear crack but then it comes apart and you have more problems than you can imagine some times when hot i have seen them stick in like mr. gadgets said
Old 05-21-2008, 09:01 AM
Registered

Default Cone clutch

Thanks for the reply. Changed the gear lube this past weekend and no filings in drain pan or on magnet, good news, your right it's not the cone clutch. Talked to my mech. and he thought it could be the trim pump a valve could be sticking or one of the cylinders has a internal leak. Started to take the trim pump off when I noticed the pump oil was at the min. level line and the drive was down, could be it was sucking air. Will find out this weekend when out on the lake. I'll let you know. Thanks again for the help.
Old 08-10-2022, 06:51 AM
Registered

Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts

Cone Clutch bad?
shifts forward and neutral perfectly
going into reverse it hesitates until given a bump of throttle then goes into gear
mechanic adjusted shift cable and did not help,he is not able to trouble shoot for another couple of weeks
engine/drive have less than 200 hours

Old 08-10-2022, 09:26 AM
Registered

Received 526 Likes on 313 Posts

Originally Posted by 93 shooter
Cone Clutch bad?
shifts forward and neutral perfectly
going into reverse it hesitates until given a bump of throttle then goes into gear
mechanic adjusted shift cable and did not help,he is not able to trouble shoot for another couple of weeks
engine/drive have less than 200 hours
Sounds like to me still have a cable adjustment issue.
Did he replace the lower cable?
Old 08-10-2022, 09:34 AM
Registered

Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts

he did not replace cable "did not have the time"

Originally Posted by cheech
Sounds like to me still have a cable adjustment issue.
Did he replace the lower cable?

Quick Reply: cone clutch

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.