Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > Drives and Lower Units
IMCO vs Teague Drives >

IMCO vs Teague Drives

Notices

IMCO vs Teague Drives

Old 08-22-2008, 11:35 AM
Registered

Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts

This is a good question about what is really going on out there in the real world. Is a Bravo a Bravo and is a sticker on a Bravo still a Bravo? It seems that those that sell MAx Machine are pushing you that way while those selling IIMCO are pushing you that way (eventhough ive read on oso the scx lost 20 mph in application) Point is everyone has something to sell that guides their comments. Where are the other drive guys at?

I think that the tague is just an xr with a sticker on it. luck and perception have a lot to do with the reputations of these two and if you abuse either one will break. ask for a warranty and ask around from people who have had to deal with their warrnties or lack thereof.
Old 08-22-2008, 02:13 PM
Charter Member #601
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Boatless,
you are correct, a bravo is still a bravo and has it's weak point no matter what you do to it. And yes there are people that can break anything I build or Teague or Imco.. There are no warranties in the business because we are way over powering the bravo drive for it's intended use. There are some instances where they do survive and others they just plain wont. I had one customer running 1170hp and the gears would seem to last about 60hrs.. He then went to 1400hp and only ran it a couple of weekends. when I tore it down to inspect it.. it looked great inside. Then it was sold and a few more hours put on it.. then sold again and 10 or so hours later it broke. I was not surprized and all parties involved hoped it would last a life time but when it didnt.. then their expectataions were realigned to reality.
I have not seen the post of a loss of 20mph with the use of SCX. Not trying to dispute your message, just had not heard of that being the case. Most cases it has been only a couple of mph and after prop testing most, issues along that line have been met satisfactorily. Some people will accept the breakage and high maintenance of the XR over loosing a couple mph. I dont have an SCX, and no first hand knowledge.. I am hoping to change that next year sometime, so I can give some real world experiences of that setup.

It takes a great deal of money to build a new, better, drive. If that isnt strong enough.. there is always the #6. Just depends on how deep one's pockets are.

But I agree. a Bravo is just a Bravo. The extra's that builders do help in some situations and they are only so strong. My feeling right now is that Merc's quality of there gears has gone down hill. Maybe it is a cost issue, maybe they want to sell the NXT.. it is being offered behind the 525hp I see. So the parts that come from Merc, that Teague and Imco and Max use are only as good as Merc makes them. At least Imco is stepping up and building a new sheet of paper, and not claiming it will leap tall buildings. They are very conservative on the ratings or talk of them for a reason. They dont want people to think they can add 400hp to it and expect it to live forever.. again.. just my .02

Dick
Old 08-22-2008, 03:49 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Adrenaline Junkie
Good news on the performance.

re: porpoise - when I test drove the boat I did experience a porpoise between 90 and 100mph as the boat would begin to air out. I'd feel it break free around 75mph and really begin to accelerate and then when we hit low 90's there would be a slight porpoise and then once we aired out at 100mph - it would disappear.

I have since learned how to trim and tab slightly so there is no porpoise at all.

I really do like the way this hull runs - had a 28 Elim before that I loved -but the 36 is way more comfortable ride in the lake snot or Poker Run start washing machine - no surprise there.

If I could just get a dependable drive - I'd really be happy.
U wont break the ARNESON
Old 08-22-2008, 09:43 PM
Registered

Received 55 Likes on 39 Posts

50 Hrs on my NXT's oil change......no black burnt oil...no flakes...no small chunks.....clean like new oil. Unlike the XR's changing oil every other trip. Get rid of the bravo style drives..No shifting in the drive is the ultimate deal. Done!
Old 08-24-2008, 10:35 AM
Charter Member #601
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

fossil fuel,
did you do a refit to get the NXT's or a new boat?
Old 08-24-2008, 06:19 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We Have broke them all! 3 teagues,4 B-max HT's,Xrs ect... NXT is the only one you are going to have flawless boating and not loose speed. My .02
Old 08-25-2008, 08:05 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by B BOATER
We Have broke them all! 3 teagues,4 B-max HT's,Xrs ect... NXT is the only one you are going to have flawless boating and not loose speed. My .02
My undestanding is the only place we can put NXT's behind is the 700's and possibly the 525's....correct?
Old 08-25-2008, 08:08 AM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

that porpouise those eliminators got goin on is hard on drives
Old 08-25-2008, 08:42 AM
Geronimo36
Gold Member

Received 131 Likes on 36 Posts

I've seen them all break, some people are luckier than others.

I went thru two IMCO Extreme SC's in about 20 hours, uppers blew up. An OuterLimits at our Marina has gone thru 3 Teagues.

I switched to BMax HT's a few years ago and with the exception of a vertical shaft coupler I've had to date 130 trouble free boating hours with the drives on 830 hp blower motors. At 100 hrs when the coupler broke I had them rebuilt... Some of the bearings were showing wear and the lower gears were marginal so we replaced everything in the lower, the uppers were in beautiful shape.

Comparing the cost of the IMCO Extreme, Teagues and BMax, I'm really happy with my BMax's.... I've heard other bad stories about ALL of them so take it all with a grain of salt....
Old 08-25-2008, 08:44 AM
Geronimo36
Gold Member

Received 131 Likes on 36 Posts

There's a lot of bad press on the NXT's as well.... Some have great luck and others not so lucky... The #6 is still the way to go and the Arneson is reliable as well.

Quick Reply: IMCO vs Teague Drives

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.