IMCO vs Teague Drives >

IMCO vs Teague Drives

Notices

IMCO vs Teague Drives

Old 08-25-2008, 01:24 PM
Charter Member #601
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I guess my point is that for a direct replacement, I am looking at the Imco SCX. Yes it is new and there are setup trial and errors to be looked at, but it is that way with any new drive. I did a search on the SCX and they were talking 15mph loss, but gained back 10 with height adjustments and felt they could find the other 5 with props. I know of a #6 on a single engine boat that would only go about 80mph with 1300hp, till they figured out the setup.
The least breakable is the #6, but they also break. And to retrofit.. you are talking major surgery and BIG money.
If you retrofit an NXT, you pay big money or buy a new boat or buy a package with the 700 or now the 525.
At first I heard that Fountain wouldnt install the NXT because of the bullet doing funny things. Eveyone is worried about bolting on a drive and going just as fast. There are compromises and trade offs in this world, no different with outdrives.
The Bmax is another alternative, but I know of guys burning up the lower gears in their setup, in less than 10hrs. Treating the gears helps, but new bigger lower gears, like the SCX is, I think a step in the right direction.
If you guys think back to when the Bravo first came out. It was a big improvement over the Alpha. The TRS was still the way to, until people experimented and got the bravo to do more than it should..
But we as boaters keep searching.. If some one could build a decent size boat that ran 100mph for 1000 hrs, that only used 10gallons of fuel per weekend, only some of us would be happy..
Old 08-25-2008, 01:32 PM
Geronimo36
Gold Member

Received 131 Likes on 36 Posts

I agree about the idea of bigger gears being the answer. I think if a BMax had a lower unit with some beefier gears they would hold up a lot better then they do now. IT also depends on the boat, some are easier on lower units then they are on uppers and vice versa.

I saw the new SCX drive in person about a month ago, it was installed on an Activator. The lower unit is almost as large as a Bravo 3 lower case. The drive was installed and had a loss of 5-7 mph after it was dialed in.
Old 08-25-2008, 02:09 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Bmax...I'm keeping my fingers crossed with the new Cryo treated lower gear sets...The uppers have never failed.
Old 08-25-2008, 02:58 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by Panther

I saw the new SCX drive in person about a month ago, it was installed on an Activator. The lower unit is almost as large as a Bravo 3 lower case. The drive was installed and had a loss of 5-7 mph after it was dialed in.
Thanks for the info Panther, I was getting ready to pull the trigger on the SCX, 5-7 mph loss is unacceptable. What type of loss on the Konrad ??
Old 08-25-2008, 04:56 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by Mr Gadgets
I guess my point is that for a direct replacement, I am looking at the Imco SCX. Yes it is new and there are setup trial and errors to be looked at, but it is that way with any new drive. I did a search on the SCX and they were talking 15mph loss, but gained back 10 with height adjustments and felt they could find the other 5 with props. I know of a #6 on a single engine boat that would only go about 80mph with 1300hp, till they figured out the setup.
The least breakable is the #6, but they also break. And to retrofit.. you are talking major surgery and BIG money.
If you retrofit an NXT, you pay big money or buy a new boat or buy a package with the 700 or now the 525.
At first I heard that Fountain wouldnt install the NXT because of the bullet doing funny things. Eveyone is worried about bolting on a drive and going just as fast. There are compromises and trade offs in this world, no different with outdrives.
The Bmax is another alternative, but I know of guys burning up the lower gears in their setup, in less than 10hrs. Treating the gears helps, but new bigger lower gears, like the SCX is, I think a step in the right direction.
If you guys think back to when the Bravo first came out. It was a big improvement over the Alpha. The TRS was still the way to, until people experimented and got the bravo to do more than it should..
But we as boaters keep searching.. If some one could build a decent size boat that ran 100mph for 1000 hrs, that only used 10gallons of fuel per weekend, only some of us would be happy..
Make it 130mph and I'd be happy...
Old 08-25-2008, 07:26 PM
Geronimo36
Gold Member

Received 131 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by Superbabi
Thanks for the info Panther, I was getting ready to pull the trigger on the SCX, 5-7 mph loss is unacceptable. What type of loss on the Konrad ??
I would venture to guess it's about the same due to the added weight, possible weight distribution issues with the addition of an extension box and transmission, drive heights and parasitic losses in the drive and the transmission.
Old 08-25-2008, 07:33 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Darrin, All of the bravo style bravos are still just bravos. You might want to look into a set of Konrads. Since Aaron made the change he has not had one drive issue and the company is great to deal with. Mindi Doller did the conversion and is a first rate shop and business to deal with. Call me if you have any questions.
Old 08-25-2008, 08:35 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Adrenaline Junkie
Make it 130mph and I'd be happy...
You're running 625 Ilmores correct? Most Ilmore packages are sold with Teague drives and I have heard of very few problems. You should be fine with that. Yes Teague drives break, everything breaks when you put enough power through it, but with the 625s, you should be good to go.
-Tom
Old 08-25-2008, 09:25 PM
Lunatic Fringe
Platinum Member

one word answer "ARNESON"
Old 08-25-2008, 09:42 PM
Registered

Received 28 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Back4More
Bmax...I'm keeping my fingers crossed with the new Cryo treated lower gear sets...The uppers have never failed.
I've had no problems with my B-Max 2 years.

Quick Reply: IMCO vs Teague Drives

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.