Drive Paint Removal >

Drive Paint Removal

Notices

Drive Paint Removal

Old 09-02-2008, 01:54 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Drive Paint Removal

I hope to get back on my Formula soon. Is there any updated strippers to use for paint removal on the TRS outdrives. I will be repainting with them on the transom. Or is it still best to blast the paint off with a mild media?
Old 09-05-2008, 06:50 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Blast cleaning has many advantages over chemical cleaning, namely the surfaces is clean and the blasting provides a profile for paint adhesion. Do no under estimate the power of salts however, use salt away or chlorride before during and after blasting. You do not want to peen salts into the aluminum in the blasting process. Wash first with salt remover, power wash, apply salt remover again, wash, blast, apply salt remover, wash - then after surfaces are dry begin the painting process. Salts attrack moisture so no matter how hot the day or how dry the salt particle will be wet. You can prove this by dumping salt on the table and coming back 24 hrs later - the salt will be all wet - A great paint job with a wet salt particule burried underneath will cause a failure in the future - Blast media should be "fine" a # 70 - 100 grit @ 120 psi will provide a blast profile on aluminum of 1.5 + mils in depth - this will work very nicely for paint adhesion.
Old 09-05-2008, 11:13 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Thanks James