Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > Drives and Lower Units
X power Drive rated to 1535hp >

X power Drive rated to 1535hp

Notices

X power Drive rated to 1535hp

Old 10-11-2008, 08:30 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Anyone know anything about the new Ilmore / Penske bravo replacement drive coming out?
Old 10-11-2008, 09:03 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 1,297 Likes on 449 Posts

Originally Posted by 2112
valid points, I think the pricing needs to be closer to the IMCO and Konrad units to bring in the buyers or just as you mentioned, they will opt for the #6. I keep hoping the NXT will come as a stand alone package.
if and when the x power hits the market, look for merc to sell the nxt separately..they would be stupid not too, the potential loss for people upgrading would be astronomical.
Old 10-12-2008, 12:43 PM
Registered

Received 28 Likes on 19 Posts

What about B-Max for under $15K I have three years no problems. Bravos were throw aways. Good to 950 HP and tourque.
Old 10-12-2008, 12:45 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 1,297 Likes on 449 Posts

Originally Posted by RBeyer
What about B-Max for under $15K I have three years no problems. Bravos were throw aways. Good to 950 HP and tourque.
after what some people have said about dealing with bmax and the speed losses I wouldnt go that way.
Old 10-12-2008, 11:10 PM
Charter Member #601
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Tomas, do you have that boat running yet? I hope to be able to try the Imco SCX sometime next year if the economy doesnt colapse. But first my back has to heal and then I need to get my new motor built and then.. sell some of the used stuff and then......
Old 10-13-2008, 01:01 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 882 Likes on 410 Posts

Originally Posted by Boatlesss
So you have a 26' boat that is going to run a cleaver propeller and you can hardly wait? I'd be more interested if it cost $10K and took a Bravo prop for your application.

I've read the b.s., the hours at the power levels. I just want to know who built this 1500+ hp engine that has lived all these hours for them to boast this "vague" tested and lived statements?

They are rumored to want in the 30K range just for the leg, no gimbal, no transom assembly, no steering, no nothing. For 32K I can purchase a complete #6 Speedmaster drive and I don't have to be concerned by buying something from someone that has no experience in the boat business. Merc will be here tomorrow, will this company?
I have to agree with some of your points,if drive prototype was tested starting this year,they had to be running the pizz out of it. I read the 1500 plus hp motor had 375 hours (at least thats what is implied). I think it was said paul pfaff built the motor. Just crunching some numbers,375 run time hours,assuming heavy part throttle operation would use about 50 gph . 50 gph x 375 hrs= 18750 gallons of fuel. At 4.50 a gal that would be 85,000$ spent on gas this year for this boat to test this drive,impressive,Smitty
Old 10-13-2008, 01:07 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

85,000 in fuel for testing? That would explain the price of the drive!!
Old 10-13-2008, 01:43 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You guys should really be happy that someone is putting money and effort into developing a drive like this instead of focusing on the negative aspects all the time. Nowhere did it mention they ran 375 hours without rebuilding the motor and from what I understood they have been testing for over 2 years! If they did burn 85K in fuel great that is called serious testing. All this speculation is what gives a product a bad rep. even before it hits the market. I guess we all want to hear directly from the horses mouth what is going on, but I can also understand why they do not come to forums like this and post!

So the gimbal ring is weak on a Bravo transom, change it for a stronger ring. Only very few will run 1000 HP plus anyway I think most will run 500-900 and if you don't run like a raped ape in high seas I am sure they will hold up fine.

Give Bill a call , I did a few months back and it sounds like it will be a great product! I like you would like to see the finished product yesterday at a price of 15K but I don't think that will happen. Hopefulle they will be out soon, but we also do not want that to happen before it is perfect.

I am considering the drive also but 35K is to much for my wallet. I also consider Arneson drives that are cheaper but takes a lot more modifications to the transom.

Lets wait for more info from Bill before speculating further and hope they come out with a great product at an affordable price(relative) in the meantime we can break a few more bravo's and xr's

Cigaretteman

Just to clarify my post is also aimed at the other threads about this drive!

Last edited by Cigaretteman; 10-13-2008 at 01:47 AM.
Old 10-13-2008, 09:03 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I think that for this drive to be a success it will need to:

1. Run with a stock drive height/x-dim.
2. Accept standard external steering applications (or have spacers to accept standard systems such as IMCO, Latham, Hardin, XS...
3. Have an ability to accept Bravo type props or have a good prop exchange program
4. Will require a minimal extension box.

If it will do the above I think that it may be a viable product even at $25-35k. Many of us buy expensive power with the idea that if we want another boat we can swap the engine or engines. If you get a bunth of money in steering mods, props and so on, that does not work. That gets compounded with twins.

If it won't do that then you have to spend an additional $4-6k on steering, $5-10k on props, who knows for the extension box and then it might work with your hull. If you are looking at twins, what started as a $70k upgrade starts pushing $100k. In this market it is cheaper to sell what you got and go find a #6 boat.

I think that bunch of us would want to try it but don't want to become science experiments. Expensive ones at that.
Old 10-13-2008, 09:13 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ZXXX Donzi
I think that for this drive to be a success it will need to:

1. Run with a stock drive height/x-dim.
2. Accept standard external steering applications (or have spacers to accept standard systems such as IMCO, Latham, Hardin, XS...
3. Have an ability to accept Bravo type props or have a good prop exchange program
4. Will require a minimal extension box.

If it will do the above I think that it may be a viable product even at $25-35k. Many of us buy expensive power with the idea that if we want another boat we can swap the engine or engines. If you get a bunth of money in steering mods, props and so on, that does not work. That gets compounded with twins.

If it won't do that then you have to spend an additional $4-6k on steering, $5-10k on props, who knows for the extension box and then it might work with your hull. If you are looking at twins, what started as a $70k upgrade starts pushing $100k. In this market it is cheaper to sell what you got and go find a #6 boat.

I think that bunch of us would want to try it but don't want to become science experiments. Expensive ones at that.

1. is out of the question since this is a surface drive so it can't have the same X you can change the X on the drive though up to 5"

2. It doess accept external steering.

3. again it is a surfacedrice so it need #6 style props.

4 it requires no extensionbox.

Have you seen the website? It will answer a lot of your questions.

Cigaretteman

Quick Reply: X power Drive rated to 1535hp

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.