NXT, #6 and M8 Drive Comparisons >

NXT, #6 and M8 Drive Comparisons

Notices

NXT, #6 and M8 Drive Comparisons

Old 01-05-2011, 09:50 AM
Registered

Received 3,400 Likes on 1,097 Posts

Originally Posted by CAM
I thought it would be useful/interesting to put together a thread comparing the three along with the graphs and pictures shown below.
My personal favorite is the #6 and probably will be for awhile to come until the M8 proves itself as a reliable drive that can handle serious power without backing down. Anyone else have a preferance or favorite and personal experience with duribility/performance?
Aweseom thread by the way!!

Would you happen to have cut out photos of other drives? Bravo...TRS, SSM IIIA, SSM III, XR, etc.

And someone explain to me why the plate above the prop is angled up on the 8
Old 01-05-2011, 10:58 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default #6 vs NXT

I have heard the #6 drive will bolt right up to the NXT gimbal and some applications actually have come with the NXT transmission and gimbal with a #6 drive. Am I correct? What would I encounter later to change from a NXT to a #6? I really like the new boat with the 700sc/NXT package and the price is right, but I would hate to be limited later if I want to go up in power after I grow used to the 1400hp. Thanks for any help and insight you can give me.
Old 01-05-2011, 11:11 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 53 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by thisistank

And someone explain to me why the plate above the prop is angled up on the 8
Tank,

Just a guess but if the drive is shorter, which creates a shorter internal shafts,.......to reduce torque load
per some of the previous post.

Then that ended up bringing the cav plate down if the above is true.
So I'm guessing it's Kicked up for prop clearace for the standard diameters produced?

Jon

Last edited by cougarman; 01-05-2011 at 11:25 AM.
The following users liked this post:
I'CE (08-22-2020)
Old 01-05-2011, 11:44 AM
Registered

Received 32 Likes on 9 Posts

They can still be gussied up somewhat!

And once you ride in a boat that has these motors, you wont care if they look like a pile of dog crap...They are simply AMAZING!!!
Don't get me wrong, I have heard the performance is unmatched. A low maint 1350hp that has electric throttle response was unhead of, I commend them for that, I just don't agree with the astecthics "Throw a plastic cover over that mess like we did the 496" Surely there must be enough money in the budget to make these new engines look like the old, can't convince me profits are that tight

Last edited by 4bus; 01-05-2011 at 11:54 AM.
Old 01-05-2011, 12:48 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by cougarman
Tank,

Just a guess but if the drive is shorter, which creates a shorter internal shafts,.......to reduce torque load
per some of the previous post.

Then that ended up bringing the cav plate down if the above is true.
So I'm guessing it's Kicked up for prop clearace for the standard diameters produced?

Jon
Ahhh, now that you explain it that way and I look at the pics again it makes perfect sense. I was thinking why didn't they just bring the cav plate up but you can see the whole lower is a LOT shorter. Guess they couldn't put the cav plat on the upper portion of the drive and not had it bent but that would be a huge shift from the norm.
Old 01-05-2011, 12:56 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by 4bus
Don't get me wrong, I have heard the performance is unmatched. A low maint 1350hp that has electric throttle response was unhead of, I commend them for that, I just don't agree with the astecthics "Throw a plastic cover over that mess like we did the 496" Surely there must be enough money in the budget to make these new engines look like the old, can't convince me profits are that tight

I absolutely agree that a blown motor looks a thousand times better than a turbo'd one. But that comes with the fact the major majority of us are just accustomed to seeing those sexy blowers, sweet valve covers (custome painted, carbon fiber, polishes, etc) and shiny exhaust manifolds both in car and boat application. I think a lot comes down with acclimation - we're just not used to seeing the "funky" turbo set up. I think it would help tremendiously to enhance the look of the new 1350 if they polished the turbos and some other exterior components.

But seriously, the performance, acceleration and mostly reliability of these motors are going to KILL the blower motor market in the over 1000hp application.

Just my .02
Old 01-05-2011, 05:27 PM
CAM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 4bus
Nice shop, nice boat......is anyone else disappointed with the look of the 1350?

I know this is a revolutionary engine, however this and the new 502 don't look very pretty IMO.

Is this a sign of what is to come?
Think of the 1350's like turbo Buick... not much to look at but plenty of power and realibility when you get into it.

Personally, I'm very glad Merc decided to go turbo this time around because of the increased efficieny over a blower app both twin screw or centrifugal. As you know, blowers run off the crank shaft via a belt that eats up power to spin it. turbo's are more "free" because they run off hot exhaust gases completely seperate from the engine itself. Also a properly tuned turbo setup will give you many enjoyable boating hours at higher power levels without the worry of throwing a belt or having to switch pullies to adjust boost levels.

Here's a TT Nordic done by Turbo Technology Inc. Equipped with a pair of GT 47-88's 590CID BBC, able to support 2500+ HP on higher boost levels. Last I heard it was using something from IMCO for a drive unit.

Last edited by CAM; 01-05-2011 at 07:14 PM.
Old 01-05-2011, 05:34 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 647 Likes on 304 Posts

If you want to see a perrdy Turbo Motor look no farther the the one Brad Smith built.
Somebody can post it up ! ?
Old 01-05-2011, 05:42 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 269 Likes on 149 Posts

Originally Posted by Quinlan
If you want to see a perrdy Turbo Motor look no farther the the one Brad Smith built.
Somebody can post it up ! ?
U mean these 2

http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/g...o-engines.html
Old 01-05-2011, 05:49 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 53 Likes on 28 Posts

I absolutely agree that a blown motor looks a thousand times better than a turbo'd one. But that comes with the fact the major majority of us are just accustomed to seeing those sexy blowers, sweet valve covers (custome painted, carbon fiber, polishes, etc) and shiny exhaust manifolds both in car and boat application. I think a lot comes down with acclimation - we're just not used to seeing the "funky" turbo set up. I think it would help tremendiously to enhance the look of the new 1350 if they polished the turbos and some other exterior components.

But seriously, the performance, acceleration and mostly reliability of these motors are going to KILL the blower motor market in the over 1000hp application.

Just my .02

Oh Tank,

I'm hurt Can't believe ya don't like these Funky Turbo's with no Bling...........

What do ya think of this one coupled with a #6 Drive

This is OSO member Check300, she runs strong and as you can see not much hull left in the water
from all the lift on pretty flat water. Best number to date 117 mph

Jon
Attached Thumbnails NXT, #6 and M8 Drive Comparisons-check300-5.jpg   NXT, #6 and M8 Drive Comparisons-check300-11.jpg   NXT, #6 and M8 Drive Comparisons-check300-13.jpg  

NXT, #6 and M8 Drive Comparisons-check300-3.jpg   NXT, #6 and M8 Drive Comparisons-check300_key3.jpg  

Last edited by cougarman; 01-05-2011 at 05:53 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.