Notices

black hawk drive

Old 07-31-2011, 04:43 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default black hawk drive

anybody have any experience with the black hawk drive? I am looking at a 270 hallett with twin 350's and black hawk drives

Thanx
Old 07-31-2011, 07:57 PM
Registered

Received 170 Likes on 76 Posts

Drives were manufactured in the 1990's and obsoleted sometime around 1998. Any part that is not interchangeable with current production drives are hard to get. This includes the propellers and the specialized repair tools. There is occasionally a surplus drive and sometimes propellers for sale here in the classifieds, Ebay, or even Craig’s list. I don’t recall the exact horse power rating that the Black Hawk has, but you are fine in the 350 HP range. I have been running around 500 HP and I usually get around 75 to 100 hours before I tear something up. I have four drives and usually two are down for one reason or another. I also have four sets of propellers and I take very good care of them. You don’t want to run a set of propellers that has any damage or even a rough edge. The Black Hawk is a surface piercing drive and like most surface drives, the propellers are under an extremely uneven stress when the propeller blade breaks the surface.

The characteristic of a boat hull that is designed to use the Black Hawk is that the bow has to “ride up”. A lot of the designers incorporated an aggressive “rocker” in the hull to exaggerate this effect. The drawback to this is that the balance of the boat is very temperamental and can porpoise very easily. Another drawback is that the boat may not perform correctly if you ever opt off the Black Hawks and install a more conventional drive. One last drawback that I better mention is that the boat will likely throw a pretty big wake and maintain an agressive speed at idle due to both propellers being completely submerged. This makes docking tricky and I tend to get yelled at in the idle zones.

Hope this helps.

Andy

OOPS ... I forgot to mention the positives ... it is one hell of a ride!!

Last edited by PremierPOWER; 07-31-2011 at 08:18 PM.
Old 08-02-2011, 09:02 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by PremierPOWER
Drives were manufactured in the 1990's and obsoleted sometime around 1998. Any part that is not interchangeable with current production drives are hard to get. This includes the propellers and the specialized repair tools. There is occasionally a surplus drive and sometimes propellers for sale here in the classifieds, Ebay, or even Craig’s list. I don’t recall the exact horse power rating that the Black Hawk has, but you are fine in the 350 HP range. I have been running around 500 HP and I usually get around 75 to 100 hours before I tear something up. I have four drives and usually two are down for one reason or another. I also have four sets of propellers and I take very good care of them. You don’t want to run a set of propellers that has any damage or even a rough edge. The Black Hawk is a surface piercing drive and like most surface drives, the propellers are under an extremely uneven stress when the propeller blade breaks the surface.

The characteristic of a boat hull that is designed to use the Black Hawk is that the bow has to “ride up”. A lot of the designers incorporated an aggressive “rocker” in the hull to exaggerate this effect. The drawback to this is that the balance of the boat is very temperamental and can porpoise very easily. Another drawback is that the boat may not perform correctly if you ever opt off the Black Hawks and install a more conventional drive. One last drawback that I better mention is that the boat will likely throw a pretty big wake and maintain an agressive speed at idle due to both propellers being completely submerged. This makes docking tricky and I tend to get yelled at in the idle zones.

Hope this helps.

Andy

well thank you for the response. It hard to decide if I am getting into a headache or if all will be fine.
Old 08-02-2011, 11:42 PM
Registered

Received 23 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by PremierPOWER

Hope this helps.

Andy

X2. They were rated same as the Bravo of that era at 500hp so they will last behind 350s as long as you don't get air under them. Props and vertical shafts are getting scarce but all other parts are Bravo 1/Bravo 3.
Old 08-03-2011, 04:54 AM
bor
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by onesickpantera
X2. They were rated same as the Bravo of that era at 500hp so they will last behind 350s as long as you don't get air under them. Props and vertical shafts are getting scarce but all other parts are Bravo 1/Bravo 3.
The guys from max machine worx have all the internals and even can convert it to a xr version wich hold some more power ,I work on a project and have 2 bh one running and one blown if it works on my hull I build the blown one whit the max worx parts to hold up the hp and tq .