Dry Sumping Volvo DPR'S >

Dry Sumping Volvo DPR'S

Notices

Dry Sumping Volvo DPR'S

Old 02-14-2012, 07:39 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by PhatboyC
Here is what I had bookmarked online for when I ever buy a diesel 400ss.
http://www.chipexpress.com/products/2457/
http://www.chipexpress.com/products/2458/

peterunwin and the rest of the diesel guys, you think this can be reliable on current 350 and 370 D6 with DPH?

p.s. peterunwin your doing one hell of a conversion. Continue posting your updates.
Hi PhatboyC,
I think the guys at chipexpress may be living in a fantasy world because the standard 350/370 charge cooler and heat exchanger will not support powers any greater than 400hp even in England where our average water temperature does not exceed 12 degrees centigrade, we have found it necessary to modify the cooling system. Even with the mods exhaust gas temperature is on the high side. We also deliberately map out the torque to make the drives live.

Regards
Peter
Old 02-14-2012, 09:40 AM
Registered

Received 199 Likes on 106 Posts

Talk on another thread about adding vent tubes to a drive got me thinking about them on DPX/DPR applications. Did you ever consider or try that? I would think that in high torque applications it would take some of the load off the drive while trying to spool up the props?
Old 02-15-2012, 05:36 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by scarabman
Talk on another thread about adding vent tubes to a drive got me thinking about them on DPX/DPR applications. Did you ever consider or try that? I would think that in high torque applications it would take some of the load off the drive while trying to spool up the props?
Hi scarabman,
Whilst doing the dry sump convertion i have completely removed the cavitation plates with the idea it will vent at slow speed and reduce drag at high speed. During the boats refit i am also mounting the engines at 800mm centres they were originally at 950mm which will allow me to set them higher relative to the bottom, i am also reducing the boats weight by about 350kg. When the boat was standard with 350hp max speed was 52 knots after the engine and propeller modifications this rose to 62 knots with the reduction in weight and increase in power from the latest refit i am hoping to see better than 66 knots. Also made the manifolds for the steering system these power both sides of the cylinders , the standard volvo system only powers one side.

Regards
Peter
Attached Thumbnails Dry Sumping Volvo DPR'S-dsc05033.jpg   Dry Sumping Volvo DPR'S-dsc05041.jpg   Dry Sumping Volvo DPR'S-dsc05040.jpg  

Dry Sumping Volvo DPR'S-dsc05034.jpg   Dry Sumping Volvo DPR'S-dsc05039.jpg  
Old 02-16-2012, 02:24 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for your answer. I guess its a different world then all the turbo diesel trucks getting a simple remap boosting the turbos to get huge HP gains.

If I ever upgrade and buy a 400SS Formula I wanted to do 55mph with hardtop with a simple engine upgrade. I guess the marine world is a whole different ball game.
Old 02-19-2012, 10:22 PM
Diamond Member #001
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Peter - I heard from Ian Hawkins that you were going to be in Miami. Sorry that we couldn't meet. I spoke with Jay Koontz at the Volvo Penta booth about your project. He seemed intrigued. Keep up the good work.
Old 02-20-2012, 10:32 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Peterunwin, Awesome Project, I was looking into buying a new Formula with the Volvo D6-400 and was worried about spending the extra money for the Diesel's but from what you have said about the Volvo D6 and their drives (older ones), I feel much better about long gevity and being bullet proof. I was afraid that running a stock D6-400 at WOT or -10% I would have issues over time.

Rich
Old 02-20-2012, 10:52 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by C_Spray
Peter - I heard from Ian Hawkins that you were going to be in Miami. Sorry that we couldn't meet. I spoke with Jay Koontz at the Volvo Penta booth about your project. He seemed intrigued. Keep up the good work.
Hi C_Spray,
It would have been great to have met up with you.. however we decided to save up all our holiday for the year and come to Florida around mid October for around 6-8 weeks so we can have a tour round looking for real estate and also visiting the fantasy fest and world powerboat championship in Keywest perhaps we could catch up then?

All The Best
Peter
Old 02-20-2012, 10:58 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by F3504x4ps
Peterunwin, Awesome Project, I was looking into buying a new Formula with the Volvo D6-400 and was worried about spending the extra money for the Diesel's but from what you have said about the Volvo D6 and their drives (older ones), I feel much better about long gevity and being bullet proof. I was afraid that running a stock D6-400 at WOT or -10% I would have issues over time.

Rich
Thanks Rich, the D6-400 will be a very unstressed engine as it is identical to the 435 IPS engine the only diffference being the ECU programme.

All The Best
Peter
Old 02-22-2012, 07:41 AM
Registered

Hi All,
Mounted the trim and tab pumps to the carbon fibre plates along with the polarity changeover switches, this saves 8kg compared with the standard volvo brackets, also made some spreader washers for the transom shield bolts these save a further 2kg over the rather agricultural volvo standard issue they also spread the load into the transom much more effectively.
I am now making the tooling for the carbon fibre trim tabs.

Peter
Attached Thumbnails Dry Sumping Volvo DPR'S-dsc05045.jpg   Dry Sumping Volvo DPR'S-dsc05049.jpg   Dry Sumping Volvo DPR'S-dsc05050.jpg  

Dry Sumping Volvo DPR'S-dsc05051.jpg   Dry Sumping Volvo DPR'S-dsc05046.jpg  
Old 04-11-2012, 09:16 AM
Registered

Hi All,
Have finished off the preparation and then applied a couple of generous coats of two-pack to the drives, also made the jigs for the transom cut-outs as the engines and drives are being moved closer together with a higher X dimension.

Peter
Attached Thumbnails Dry Sumping Volvo DPR'S-dsc05084.jpg   Dry Sumping Volvo DPR'S-dsc05088.jpg   Dry Sumping Volvo DPR'S-dsc05100.jpg  

Dry Sumping Volvo DPR'S-dsc05120.jpg   Dry Sumping Volvo DPR'S-dsc05122.jpg  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.