Educate me on drive showers please

Notices

Educate me on drive showers please

Old 05-24-2013, 11:15 AM
DRP
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Educate me on drive showers please

I am looking for a top cap style drive shower for a bravo. I did all my homework and came to the conclusion of an innovative marine shower but they are out of business. Next I came up with an "its cool" shower by rex and that was shot down. Iv been trying to order one from them for a year and keep getting told that they are out of stock. Yesterday, after trying to order one again, they not only say out of stock but also they don't even know of they will get any this year! Thanks Rex! What would be a good top cap style? I heard billet marine but can't find anything on them.

Thanks in advance!
Old 05-24-2013, 11:40 AM
Registered

Received 234 Likes on 81 Posts

How about an Imco or something that is readily available
Old 05-26-2013, 09:37 AM
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just purchased 2 Hardin Marine "Sport Techs" from CP Performance, I am really happy with them $129 each
Old 05-30-2013, 07:56 PM
DRP
Registered

I was thinking that route maybe???
Old 05-30-2013, 07:59 PM
DRP
Registered

Has anyone tried the beefier billet top cap that also has water running through it? It essentially adds strength and is a drive shower? I'm pretty interested to hear some feedback on these type. Thanks!
Old 05-30-2013, 09:39 PM
VIP Member

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but those Hardin showers don't put the water anywhere it should be. I bought a set and had someone drive my boat as I looked over the back. The water was shooting straight thru the cap and hitting the top of the bell housing. I even called Hardin to discuss my findings and at that time they didn't really care about my findings. I can only hope that they redisigned them to actually work.

The reason for a drive shower is to cool the housing thus cooling the gear oil. I have tried many gear oils over the years and have found one that I think is the best out there. How do I know ??? Because it comes out of the drive almost the same color as it went in. Cannot say that about any other ones I tried.

The gear oil I run is called NEO 75W90RHD. Expensive stuff but it works. So my point is start with a top notch gear oil that runs cool and keeps the heat down by minimizing friction.
Old 05-30-2013, 10:54 PM
Registered

take a look at the teague drive showers, the water actually sprays right on the top bearing. the cap style showers actually hold the heat in and dont spray directly where the cooling is needed.
Old 05-31-2013, 05:39 AM
DRP
Registered

Originally Posted by Smitty
Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but those Hardin showers don't put the water anywhere it should be. I bought a set and had someone drive my boat as I looked over the back. The water was shooting straight thru the cap and hitting the top of the bell housing. I even called Hardin to discuss my findings and at that time they didn't really care about my findings. I can only hope that they redisigned them to actually work.

The reason for a drive shower is to cool the housing thus cooling the gear oil. I have tried many gear oils over the years and have found one that I think is the best out there. How do I know ??? Because it comes out of the drive almost the same color as it went in. Cannot say that about any other ones I tried.

The gear oil I run is called NEO 75W90RHD. Expensive stuff but it works. So my point is start with a top notch gear oil that runs cool and keeps the heat down by minimizing friction.
I agree about the oil and have heard very good things about Neo!

The billet cap that I was referring to is an actual cap. It replaces your existing cap and it is beefier and has water running through the actual cap. I haven't shopped much but right now the only one that I see being made is by wags engineering. I think billet marine and someone else use to make it as well!
Old 05-31-2013, 06:39 AM
VIP Member

Yes the Wags cap looks like a nice piece. Pricey but prob worth it in the end for cooling and for strength. The other thing that is important is to switch from bolts to studs to hold any top cap down.
Old 06-02-2013, 12:37 AM
Charter Member #601
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Also when changing a top cap, it is important to measure the depth and flatness of the race seat, to make sure you don't change the setup when adding the new cap, and compare it to the depth on the old cap.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.