Notices

SSM 3 mercruiser

Old 06-06-2013, 06:58 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SSM 3 mercruiser

G day ! Wonder if I can get some advice on #3 drives ... Looking at a couple of boats in the early 90 ies with these drives - should I stay clear of these and stick to bravo 1 ?? Those 3 are they dinosaure as in parts availability or ??
Old 06-06-2013, 07:19 PM
Registered

Received 700 Likes on 342 Posts

Parts are available. I have a spare set of drives just in case I need one on a Sunday. But they are far superior in strength to a bravo. I'd much rather buy a #3 boat than a bravo boat.
Old 06-06-2013, 08:12 PM
Registered

Received 952 Likes on 347 Posts

it depends on if they are 3's or 3A's. the 3 uses a small spline prop shaft and props are hard to come by. the 3A is a better drive and uses a larger spline prop shaft so you can use the same props as a 6.
Old 06-25-2013, 08:24 PM
Registered

#3 props are hard to come by but are out there. Arneson sells an adapter to fit #6's on a 3, I think i paid around 270.00 for it.
Old 06-26-2013, 05:44 PM
Registered

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

What is the cost difference in rebuilding a SSM3/SSM3A Vs a Bravo?

Thank you
Jim
Old 06-26-2013, 06:27 PM
Registered

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by dammmagnum
What is the cost difference in rebuilding a SSM3/SSM3A Vs a Bravo?

Thank you
Jim
Generally, not much difference. Main thing is the guys who can rebuild them are farther and fewer between, than guys who can do a bravo. But, the key is, you'll be rebuilding them a lot less often than you would a bravo. That's where you're saving big.
Old 06-28-2013, 12:11 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When I finally got my own boat 10 years ago, I vowed to never own a bravo rig. I have owned SSMIII's and SSMV's, and never lost a day on the water on account of a drive. I'll bet that you can't find a single guy that has run in excess of 650 hp on a Bravo that has not had a failure. The downside is that you are probably losing 50-75 hp turning the drive and transmission on the SSM, so you'll need to budget for extra motor.
Old 06-28-2013, 05:31 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by MILD THUNDER
Generally, not much difference. Main thing is the guys who can rebuild them are farther and fewer between, than guys who can do a bravo. But, the key is, you'll be rebuilding them a lot less often than you would a bravo. That's where you're saving big.
Yes, it was tough to find someone here in Nor Cali. Everyone i asked said yes or they knew someone but they didnt think they had the proper tools I was ready to drag the boat down to Havasu 9hrs one way. Honker Cut Marine did the job.
Old 06-29-2013, 12:11 AM
Registered

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Hello Jaime

Isn't Honker Cut over in Stockton?? I would think Bob Teague could rebuild them also,

Thank you
jim