Bravo 1 problems...help and tool list appreciated >

Bravo 1 problems...help and tool list appreciated

Notices

Bravo 1 problems...help and tool list appreciated

Old 06-22-2013, 07:07 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Bravo 1 problems...help and tool list appreciated

I'm making north of 800 hp and running a bravo 1 on a 280 velocity (I know...asking for problems)

Anyway, I was out trying my new 32p bravo 1 and just got down making a high speed run to 5400-5500 rpms and after coming to a stop I put the boat in neutral and look around the engine compartment to make sure everything looked ok. I then go to slide it into gear and nothing. No clunk, pop or bump. Ok...... Lets try that again. Rpms drop from blower surge, slide into gear and nothing again. Ok, so we have no forward gear??? I tried reverse and it goes in like normal. It's getting late so I have no choice but to go in reverse....lol. I go for about 10 minutes and get passed by a 150-200ft barge. I stopped and tried forward one more time, but this time the lever goes about half way in and starts pulling forward and after a second it slides all the way. Well, I'm going faster forward than in reverse so I leave it and idle back 4 miles to a launch and had someone meet us to bring us to the truck. While my friend is leaving to go get the truck I'm tying the boat to the dock and all the sudden the boat starts to take off. I jump in and kill the motor. After that I got to the dock and waited for the truck and we float the boat on the trailer.

I don't know anything abuout the workings of an outdrive so I watched some videos last night and look at some schematics to try and figure it out or as much as I could without doing it. I talked with Eddie and soon found out I need a lot of special tools so I think I need to start getting some if I'm going to run decent power with a b1.

One thing to note, when I changed the oil it looked good and no chunks on the magnets. When I got home the lower magnet was clean and the top magnet had small chunks on it so apparently the upper is where the problem is.

Any ideas or suggestions are appreciated. If anyone has any leads on a new outdrive or tools to work on the outdrive I would appreciate that info as well.

Thanks
Old 06-22-2013, 08:46 AM
Registered

Found the problem. The bearing that sits below the clutch assembly came apart. Not sure what would cause that since this is my first time taking one apart. Everything else looks to be in great shape. Not chips or cracks in anything I can see.

I'm going to replace the bearing assembly and put it back together and give it a shot unless someone has any other advise. I'm trying to figure out a way to flush the lower unit. I'm not finding any pieces in the drive. Just little metallic micro dust in the oil.

Old 06-22-2013, 09:09 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I wonder if the blower surge didn't cause that by forcing the hub into the bearing as you shift into gear & the blower surging at the same time. Thankful it was something small & pretty much self contained. I guess it's time to start collecting bravo parts unless you can find something stronger and or better, XR upper or Imco SCX? Good luck & welcome to the next most expensive part of boating, Everything connected to the engine, LOL Randy
Old 06-22-2013, 09:17 AM
Registered

I don't think it's blower surge related because when I shift into gear it's at like 750 rpms and goes in very smooth. If it was jamming into gear I would agree 100%, but it goes in smooth and soft. No jolt in the boat or anything. I could be wrong though.

Problem I'm having right now is finding any info on my serial number. The only number on the upper I have found is VL187057. I'm assuming that's the serial number, but I haven't seen anything about that. I was told it was a new drive as of 2 years ago. It does look to be in good shape and not the same age as the boat, but who knows. Everything I've seen online shows it should start with OL from the vintage of the boat (98).

Any ideas?
Old 06-22-2013, 04:43 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

There is no "V" In Merc's serial numbers! Serial number 0L187057 comes up as an MERCRUISER PERFORMANCE DRIVE BRAVO 1, 1.50:1 MERCRUISER - (BRAVO 1 H.P. (1998)
Serial No: 0L187057 Model No: 5C31200LS

Merc parts catalog part number 90- 809808 96 - BRAVO I/II/III STERNDRIVE AND TRANSOM ASSEMBLY
Here's your parts catalog,
http://www.mercruiserparts.com/selec..._nbr=809808+96

Service manual 90-174314 http://www.boatfix.com/merc/Servmanl/11/11covr5x.pdf
Old 06-22-2013, 07:17 PM
Registered

You should be able to repair top without needing special Merc. Tools. Just use a bolt for shift pin, if need to replace shift pin seal rig up a bolt and some washers. Take bearing stack apart and clean bearing, don't forget rolling torque on nut when putting back together. If replacing yoke seal look a depth as Merc tool sets a little lower than flush. It has to be in right place or yoke will cut into it. Get all the metal out or bearing will be short lived. Look at case real good and make no metal imbedded it self where it come out later. You must disassemble bottom and clean. If it was set up properly you may get away just getting a carrier tool. Take some time and check out the manual a lot of rolling torque stuff going on in there. Just take your time they are actually not that hard to rebuild. Any tools you have to buy will be a good investment, with a blower you will inside that again. Good luck, any question post here there are a quite a few guys here in this section that like sharing information on repairing drives, as you see. As you can see, someone has already looked your serial number on Merc. Net and posted the info you need for parts and manuals.
Old 06-22-2013, 08:08 PM
Registered

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mercruiser-A...item3f233ef8d5

Seller is 'whoya' on the board. Check out his other auctions for other tools he makes.
Old 06-22-2013, 09:59 PM
Registered

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by c_deezy
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mercruiser-A...item3f233ef8d5

Seller is 'whoya' on the board. Check out his other auctions for other tools he makes.
Boy you can't beat that deal
Old 06-22-2013, 10:16 PM
Registered

Received 450 Likes on 269 Posts

I believe he gives a 10% discount for oso members.
Old 06-22-2013, 10:19 PM
Registered

Well I changed the bearing out today and put it all back together and it seemed good so I took it out to try it. For on plane and everything was good. Made it about 3-4 miles (I guess) cruising at 3500 rpms when all the sudden it reved high and the bow dropped. I coasted to a stop and had no forward again!! Tried a couple times and nothing. Took me 2 hours and 45 minutes to get back to the truck in reverse. The motor ran good and didn't load up the whole time.

Anyway, I'm done for the weekend. I don't feel like messing with it again tomorrow. I'm assuming the bearing went out again?? Why?? Should that bearing be getting that much load?? Could the shift fork have a problem? It seemed ok, but then again I've never seen on before so who knows.

Thanks for the link. I'm going to buy that setup for those tools.

Open to ideas. Not sure why or what causes that bearing to fail.

Thanks for all the replys.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.