'Wandering' Drives

Notices

'Wandering' Drives

Old 06-26-2013, 04:05 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 'Wandering' Drives

I am restoring a 1987 F-311 SR-1 and now that I have the power issue worked out when I am running the boat at times wants to 'walk' away (for lack of better terms) I have TRS drives and when on trailer I can move the drives approx 3-4" either way before I meet any resistance which I believe should be tighter than that. I have made sure the power steering has been properly bled as well as checked the gimbles for excessive wear which there is none. Suggestions are welcomed!
Old 06-26-2013, 06:50 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Do you have a cable in your steering system? might be worn out.
Old 06-29-2013, 12:05 PM
RIPSTA Racing Team
VIP Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

With 3-4 inches of slop it should be easy enough to locate where it is coming from. Since you did a resto I'm going to assume that the drives where not part of this resto? Every componant in the system needs to be looked at, pins, bearings and yes cable if you still have one. I would highly reccomend going to a hydraulic system. "0" play is the goal. The faster your boat goes the more pronounced the slop will be and is quite dangerous especially at speed. I'm thinking you have several worn parts giving you this problem so start at the helm and work your way back. I don't think a worn cable alone will give you that much play. Keep us posted
Old 07-07-2013, 09:41 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Its probably the tillers that are on the top of the transom assemblys. I have the same issue and the repair kits are no longer available. I am going full external hydraulic as everything else on my boat is tight. They are repairable but you have to remove and disassemble the transom assembly and take them to a machinist.