outdrive trim cylinder leaking >

outdrive trim cylinder leaking

Notices

outdrive trim cylinder leaking

Old 07-18-2013, 04:09 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default outdrive trim cylinder leaking

I just got my new to me boat. I changed all the fluids. Ran boat 2x's. The port drive is leaking at the medial trim cylinder. In my service manual it shows threads. I did screw it back in but can not hand tighten it all the way.

I have a few questions:

1. Is there a tool the assists with the leverage to torque it properly?

2. Do I need to disassemble the trim cylinder and rebuild it or can I simply tighten it up?

3. Is the drive fluid the same fluid used for the drives trim cylinders? Or are they 2 different fluids. I will be changing the drive fluid because of this leak.

Thx in advance, Nick

[ATTACH=CONFIG]504645[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]504646[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails outdrive trim cylinder leaking-drive-1.jpg   outdrive trim cylinder leaking-drive-2.jpg  
Old 07-18-2013, 04:51 PM
Registered

I found the trim resevior. Separate oil. What drive trim oil is appropriate?
Old 07-18-2013, 07:01 PM
Registered

My plan is to unscrew all the way drain all tim cylinder fluid and then replace fluid. How do I bleed the system of air?
Old 07-18-2013, 07:45 PM
Registered
VIP Member

Sorry no one has replied as of yet.....

Thanks for the persistence!

Ok.....yes, there is a special tool, but no need to buy. Get a big set of adjustable channel locks and screw it back in. It's odd that it is unscrewed......but not of any real concern unless it is not an issue of lazy, but an issue of a stripped tube/collar....

Merc makes a steering/trim fluid.....most charge about 16 bux a quart. Buy it. Trans fluid, although viscous and laden with detergent does eat delrin.....and will make issues for you down the road.

Drive oil is completely different. Very thick, and for merc.....green. Separate system. Do NOT put the this sheet in your drive reservoir....or at change. Bad stuff will happen faaaaaast!

To bleed, loosen the two fittings (one at a time) under the base of your outer transom shield....where the two flex lines connect. Have an assistant trim up and down as you crack the lines and let the air escape.
Old 07-18-2013, 07:53 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,278 Likes on 559 Posts

When you pull that annode off of there, you will see a set of pin holes in the end of the cap. You can use a big set of 90 degree snap ring pliers to tighten it.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]504675[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails outdrive trim cylinder leaking-71g6-mj5sxl.jpg