Changing the rotation on a drive >

Changing the rotation on a drive

Notices

Changing the rotation on a drive

Old 08-19-2013, 05:07 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Changing the rotation on a drive

I have a 2000 27' fountain fever with a 502mpi backed with a bravo 1 that is LH rotation, I am now repowering to a 98 hp500 carb motor and I found a deal on a imco drive but it's RH rotation which spins opposite of my original setup.

My question is can I swap drives and use the imco with my setup and buy a RH rotation prop and be ok?
Old 08-20-2013, 12:56 PM
Registered

You just need to switch the action at the shifter to work in reverse of current.
Old 08-20-2013, 03:15 PM
Registered

Ok good to know
Old 08-20-2013, 03:26 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I remember reading some of those fountains were set up with LH drives to counter torque listing. I'd call on the gurus before assumming it will run the same with a RH drive.
Old 08-20-2013, 03:32 PM
Registered

Received 21 Likes on 10 Posts

You will be fine to run the IMCO LH rotation with your current prop. Bravo style drives don't care one way or the other. Alpha's, TRS, SSM, etc have LH and RH drives.
Old 08-20-2013, 03:51 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I guess i misunderstood the question. I read it to say, will the boat run ok spinning right vs left.

Of coarse the bravo will run either direction and needs the appropriate prop. But I remember reading about them spinning LEFT for a reason, that being the boat would list badly due to the engine torque aggravated by the RH rotation of the drive and was addressed by spinning the single left.

I'll leave this to you guys, but I'm interested what the question actually is (and the answer).
Old 08-20-2013, 05:16 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Hook'em
I guess i misunderstood the question. I read it to say, will the boat run ok spinning right vs left.

Of coarse the bravo will run either direction and needs the appropriate prop. But I remember reading about them spinning LEFT for a reason, that being the boat would list badly due to the engine torque aggravated by the RH rotation of the drive and was addressed by spinning the single left.

I'll leave this to you guys, but I'm interested what the question actually is (and the answer).
There is some truth to this.

My cig is also set up LH rotation and Port side helm supposedly for this very reason. I would continue to run it LH rotation to help balance the boat.
Old 08-21-2013, 10:55 AM
Registered

Yeah I knew there was a Rh and left hand with some drives, found out the hard way with my alpha, I didn't realize bravos could spin both ways sorry for the confusion but I guess that's how you learn things
Old 08-21-2013, 06:34 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by tdpb2008
Yeah I knew there was a Rh and left hand with some drives, found out the hard way with my alpha, I didn't realize bravos could spin both ways sorry for the confusion but I guess that's how you learn things
No need for applogies. That's what this forum is for! Better to ask than to smoke a drive over a dumb mistake.
Old 08-22-2013, 08:31 AM
Registered

Yeah that's for sure