Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > Drives and Lower Units
Could I have zebra mussels in my alpha? >

Could I have zebra mussels in my alpha?

Notices

Could I have zebra mussels in my alpha?

Old 05-25-2014, 01:29 PM
Registered

Received 94 Likes on 22 Posts
Default Could I have zebra mussels in my alpha?

Been chasing a moderate overheating issue in my port engine for a few yrs now. You can still use the boat no problem but a Poker Run would be out. Starboard engine runs nice and cool. Could I possibly have ZMs in the drive reducing water flow?. I bought this counter rotating drive off a guy and it had a moderate amount of ZMs on it I cleaned them off and repainted the drive and its worked great. Unfortunately at the time I replaced the drive I also replaced the engines and switched to crossovers from the stock merc cooling system so that complicates the diagnosis. Ive been all over that cooling system on that side. The impeller has been changed a couple of times and it is the side without the PS cooler. You put it on the muffs in the driveway and less water comes out the exhaust on that engine than the other.

Last edited by pullmytrigger; 05-25-2014 at 01:31 PM.
Old 05-25-2014, 01:32 PM
Registered

Received 55 Likes on 34 Posts

Pull your inlet hose off gimbal housing on inside and look at water flow. Check both and see if they are the same. Another easy way is to swap drives and see if it follows drive or not.
Old 05-25-2014, 03:00 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have seen Zebra Mussels inside of Bravo 1 and 3 drives from boats left in the water for extended periods of time. Only way I've ever gotten them out is taking it apart.