Help Added wrong type gear lube >

Help Added wrong type gear lube

Notices

Help Added wrong type gear lube

Old 06-29-2014, 03:31 PM
Registered

Received 312 Likes on 190 Posts
Default Help Added wrong type gear lube

I was out in the shop tinkering with the boat and noticed the bottle of gear lube I had poured in the reservoirs is marked 75 hp or less.
It's been in there for 2 weeks, but I've only run the engs on the hose in the driveway.

Went to the Quicksilver website and it said not to mix it with 90w high perf gear lube.

I can pull the reservoirs off and drain them but I'm afraid some of the lube got into the drive.

Should I drain the drives overnight and install 90w high perf, or do I need to do more?

These are early Bravo 1's with 500 hp in front of them.

Thx!
Old 06-29-2014, 04:50 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 140 Likes on 85 Posts

If the reservoirs were more than 1/4 full when you topped them off, then just dump the reservoirs and refill with HiPerf.
A little mixing shouldn't be critical, but with 500hp in a standard B1, you are running them on the edge anyhow and need all the crossed fingers you can get.
Old 06-29-2014, 07:05 PM
Registered

One of the reservoirs (port) was brand new, so it was dry. I pulled both of them and flushed them out with solvent.
Draining the drives overnight.I did notice while draining the port drive, there was a small amount of foam in the oil in the drain pan. The starboard drive had none.
In regards to the port drive, thinking abt filling and running it for abt an hr, then drain overnight again.
Old 06-29-2014, 09:30 PM
Registered

Received 398 Likes on 229 Posts

You should be fine with just draining it overnight. I would seriously consider running something like Amsoil severe gear. It will make the most difference in the life of your drive.
Old 06-29-2014, 09:45 PM
Registered

Ok, thx for the reply. I'll look around for the Asmoil. I've been hearing good things abt it.
Old 06-30-2014, 11:10 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

good info,In regards to the port drive, thinking abt filling and running it for abt an hr, then drain overnight again. thanks