Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > Drives and Lower Units
Are there different size Bravo/Alpha steering rams? >

Are there different size Bravo/Alpha steering rams?

Notices

Are there different size Bravo/Alpha steering rams?

Old 06-28-2015, 07:08 AM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Are there different size Bravo/Alpha steering rams?

When I upgraded my Formula 255 with twin SBC/MR-I to Bravo I's I could not get the longer Bravo Power steering ram to fit on the starboard side as it normally would. As a solution I dedicated the Port Engine as the Power Steering slave and moved the Ram to the Port side. That of course prevented me from tying the drive tillers together in the bilge and required that I use the external Drive Tie Bar as "THE" steering connection between the drives. It works but i would feel much better if the drives were tied together inside and outside.

See pics below...pic #1 is the original set up...pic #2 is the twin Bravo Set up.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

If I can find a shorter Power Steering Ram assembly than the newer Bravo Style I am using I may be able to move the ram back to the starboard side and utilize the correct steering tiller tie bar inside.

Of course the best idea would be to use external Hydraulic Steering and solve the whole problem quickly but that is currently not in my budget.

Thanks in advance.
Old 06-28-2015, 07:19 AM
Registered

Received 693 Likes on 277 Posts

they should be the same from side to side.
Old 06-28-2015, 10:28 AM
Registered

Received 700 Likes on 342 Posts

My 27 regal uses the port side and has an internal tie bar. I'll take a pic this week when I repower it
Old 06-28-2015, 10:33 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by phragle
they should be the same from side to side.
I think there is also a big difference in the way the two units mount to the transom plates. Notice how far to starboard the Bravo set up is from the center line of the T/A as opposed to the MR-1being almost directly on the center line. Makes me wonder if there are different Bravo inner transom plates....anyone have a pic of a twin Bravo set up with steering installed with the engines out in a 8' beam boat?
Old 06-28-2015, 06:59 PM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

you could put the MR setup on. they all mount in the same place. those 2 ears sticking out on the far starboard outboard side are all in the same place alpha and bravo.
Old 06-28-2015, 10:04 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Unlimited jd
My 27 regal uses the port side and has an internal tie bar. I'll take a pic this week when I repower it
Thanks...I would like to see that.
Old 06-29-2015, 10:23 AM
Registered

I have learned that there is a part called "DUAL ENGINE TIE BAR KIT (W/PORT SIDE POWER STEERING)".

I am looking for the part number for this....I think it may be the answer to my issue.
Old 06-29-2015, 10:20 PM
Registered

As it usually happens with me when I really start looking for something...I find it. so here it is....

Mercruiser Part # 96708A4

[IMG][/IMG]

This is the internal tie bar used to tie the steering tiller on Bravo Transom Assemblies together when using the PORT engine as the Power Steering motor.

Notice the "hook" on the port end to reach under the power steering ram and the "S" on the starboard end to get back down to the center line of the starboard side tiller arm.

This is an expensive Bastard...a new one runs about $500 on line...now I've got to start looking thru boat bone yards for one of these.

I hope this helps someone else looking for this piece.