Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > Drives and Lower Units
Bravo XR drive life >

Bravo XR drive life

Notices

Bravo XR drive life

Old 11-27-2016, 09:08 AM
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you to all who have given helpful comments. I have passed this info on to my mechanic and we will certainly use it.
Dave
Old 11-28-2016, 02:03 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 886 Likes on 412 Posts

Originally Posted by Dkahnjob
Hi Articfriends,
Yes, I do have 5 Blade Max props, 32 pitch and I think they are too big or too much pitch. The boat feels like it is lugging when getting up on a plane (I don't use full throttle when pulling out). I am going to see my prop guy next week. Should I get 4 blades or see if he can reduce the pitch on the 5 blade props?
You spoke of spending $25K for new drives, what drive would these be? Impco?
Thanks,
David
Yes, if Imco scx's cost you 12.500$ each you will be into about 25,000, keep in mind IF you do it while your old drives are still working you can offset some cost by selling them off. That tq lugging with 5 b;ade maximus props puts alot of strain on shafts/gears etc, thats why I mentioned Maximus 5 blades. I ran well over 1000 hp and ft lbs of tq in my single engine 272 Baja for years, ran all the max worx billet shafts etc, installed a stellings box at one point back when I had only 950 hp, thought boat needed more blades on prop, tried a maximus 28 pitch and almost immediately sheared off a billet max worx prop shaft, went back to the 4 blade labbed props and ran even more hp without shearing shafts instantly
Attached Thumbnails Bravo XR drive life-dsc04701.jpg   Bravo XR drive life-dsc04705.jpg  
Old 11-28-2016, 02:32 PM
Registered

Has anyone thought of or switched to Arneson surface drives? I've researched the costs and there slightly more money than complete SCX upper, SC lower, trans some assembly, helmet, etc but it appears to have some cool benefited. Less Maintanance, less parts, slightly high top speeds (maybe 3 to 8mph from what I've read)? Anyone know?
Old 11-28-2016, 04:55 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 867 Likes on 325 Posts

Originally Posted by articfriends
Yes, if Imco scx's cost you 12.500$ each you will be into about 25,000, keep in mind IF you do it while your old drives are still working you can offset some cost by selling them off. That tq lugging with 5 b;ade maximus props puts alot of strain on shafts/gears etc, thats why I mentioned Maximus 5 blades. I ran well over 1000 hp and ft lbs of tq in my single engine 272 Baja for years, ran all the max worx billet shafts etc, installed a stellings box at one point back when I had only 950 hp, thought boat needed more blades on prop, tried a maximus 28 pitch and almost immediately sheared off a billet max worx prop shaft, went back to the 4 blade labbed props and ran even more hp without shearing shafts instantly
Artic, whats your take on X gears versus XR gears?
Old 11-28-2016, 05:20 PM
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by articfriends
Wow, that picture of the sheared off shaft is amazing. The strain on the parts must be just unbelievable.
I dropped my props off today at the prop shop and he said that he is going to cut down the blade surface area to get my max RPM up from 4,800 that it currently is to 5,200 as recomended by Mercruiser.
Old 11-28-2016, 05:45 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

With regard to the 5 blade Maximus's... Would be interested in your all's thoughts when talking about smaller/lighter boats. (E.g. 24/25 foot boats). Less wear/strain on the XR drivetrain is what common sense would tell me... but maybe I am wrong?

I have a 2016 Hustler Talon 25 (~3300/3400 lbs) with a 565, ITS, and XR drive with 5 blade Maximus. Absolutely a rocket ship and love it, but only have 24 hours on her, so now now wondering if it's only a matter of time. 😳 Have already changed fluid twice... everything appears to be in check.

Dean
Old 11-28-2016, 06:01 PM
Registered

Received 161 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by Rdaglock
With regard to the 5 blade Maximus's... Would be interested in your all's thoughts when talking about smaller/lighter boats. (E.g. 24/25 foot boats). Less wear/strain on the XR drivetrain is what common sense would tell me... but maybe I am wrong?

I have a 2016 Hustler Talon 25 (~3300/3400 lbs) with a 565, ITS, and XR drive with 5 blade Maximus. Absolutely a rocket ship and love it, but only have 24 hours on her, so now now wondering if it's only a matter of time. �� Have already changed fluid twice... everything appears to be in check.

Dean
Dang I'd like to see pictures of your boat. Didn't even know they were still being produced
Old 11-28-2016, 07:01 PM
Registered

See if this link works for Hustler's web page.

https://hustlerpowerboats.wordpress.com/page/2/
Old 12-12-2016, 08:10 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

as far as the 22 donzi - it was designed way before the bravo drive existed - and that ALL pre-bravo 22's with BBC's came with a left hand TRS drive and transmission (except a few 87's w/ 330hp alpha combo) - there is room even for the longer borg warner trans. But you will find that 600hp with a bravo will be a lot more fun to build and maintain than 800hp and a #6. The trans and number six will probably cost you 10mph at the same power. 525hp and a bravo with slightly higher than stock X dimension will get you to 80mph. 700 should get you into the 90's, and might not break drives because the hull is so light.. 800hp? Get a better hull design since the stability of the rounded keel isn't much fun at higher speeds, and welcome to broken drives. Pretty sure you'll have to cut into the rear seat bulkhead for the snout of a large blower with a trans setup, no so if you stay small like a 250 or less with their narrower drive belts.

Last edited by Hang Time 27; 12-12-2016 at 08:19 PM.
Old 12-13-2016, 06:31 AM
Registered

Received 271 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by Rdaglock

I have a 2016 Hustler Talon 25 (~3300/3400 lbs) with a 565, ITS, and XR drive with 5 blade Maximus. Absolutely a rocket ship and love it, but only have 24 hours on her, so now now wondering if it's only a matter of time. �� Have already changed fluid twice... everything appears to be in check.

Dean
Dean,
What pitch Maximus and what rpms can you pull with it? We tried one on our 26 AO (same bottom I believe) and the boat didn't like it. Maybe the prop we tried had too much pitch. We now run 32 and 34 non labbed Bravo props. You're right these little boats are rocket ships, fun to say the least!
Rob

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.