Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > Drives and Lower Units
Classic 22 with arneson >

Classic 22 with arneson

Notices

Classic 22 with arneson

Old 04-30-2017, 11:51 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That first video looked like the San Joaquin River / Port of Stockton. If so, maybe I will see you around on the Delta.
Old 05-01-2017, 08:24 AM
Registered

Received 123 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by 22classic
So far I have only tried the 1 three blade stainless 18x29 prop.

This time i ran the prop guard and I felt that I had less bow lift, so next time ill run without it and if it has more bow lift then it is staying off.

I do have one question for the community. After I am running hard for some time (30 min at 60ish) and all the temps start to rise I feel that the steering begins to become vague and I keep turning to the left. Once I drop the speed it comes back. are bubbles in the oil cause this? Or high oil PS temps?

I am not running any reservoir beyond the standard Bravo PS pump. Should I add something?

What else would cause this? To be honest it is very small, if there at all, but I just don't like the idea of it.

Thanks for any and all information.
Do you run a power steering cooler , you can run it hard then shout it off and look at the power steering fluid to see if it is full of foam
Old 05-01-2017, 02:28 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by green lightning
Do you run a power steering cooler , you can run it hard then shout it off and look at the power steering fluid to see if it is full of foam
Yes I run an integrated PS cooler that is part of my engine oil cooling, it is sold by CP Performance, its the 3". My steering helm get hot to the touch my guess is about 160*. What is to hot? Next time I'm out ill try my IR temp gun and see what it is getting to.

Good idea on checking the fluid, its just difficult to get to the top of the pump with my configuration.

Thanks!

Yes that video was taken on the Delta, I just made the run from Disco bay to Locke this Saturday. Man that river is moving! Hope to see you!
Old 05-07-2017, 07:27 PM
Registered

Ok, so I am now cleaning up the baot and I am checking all of the oils. I found that the power steering fuild appears to have been pumped out of the reservoir through the cap and into the bilge. The pump is almost dry. Any ideas as to what would cause this besides foaming?

Can I install a remote reservoir when the pump that I am using has the built in reservoir like all of the other Mercury units? And if I can im assuming it has to be at the same height or it would siphon out?

Best,
Matt P.
Old 05-08-2017, 01:28 PM
Registered

Received 268 Likes on 145 Posts

Congrats
Old 05-08-2017, 01:59 PM
Registered

What I did with mine was cut the cap part of the pump off weld a 1in black pipe coupling in it"s place and weld up the return port , I used the top for the return form the reservoir .[IMG][/IMG]
Old 05-08-2017, 02:02 PM
Registered

Awesome, do you have a picture of the pump?

Thanks for the help!
Old 05-08-2017, 04:07 PM
Registered

I don't have a picture but the boat is in my shop so I will take a picture tonight
Old 05-09-2017, 11:36 AM
Registered

the pictures are not all that good I tried to keep all the lines as big as I could for easy return and capacity as Rik wanted me to have a 1gal reservoir I don't have that much space to spare [IMG][/IMG][IMG][/IMG]
Old 05-09-2017, 12:06 PM
Registered

1 Gal reservoir

Why do you need such a large reservoir? Is Rick referring to the expansion capacity? That would make sense because of the volume in the system I guess.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.