Gimbal Bearing Install Bravo 1 >

Gimbal Bearing Install Bravo 1

Notices

Gimbal Bearing Install Bravo 1

Old 06-04-2019, 09:02 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gimbal Bearing Install Bravo 1

I'm in the process of installing a new gimbal bearing with outer ring. I have the alignment tool but the motor is pulled to replace the starter ring gear and add block drains. Can I do the install without the engine in? Is there a specific distance in which I need to drive the bearing into? Sorry for the questions new to I/O, the bearing looks to be greasable so I know I need to align the grease hole to the grease channel/tube but everything else I'm at a loss. I have seen videos where guys just drive it in and done and others where they want to make sure it is in a specific distance.

Thanks,
Chas
Old 06-04-2019, 09:24 AM
BUP
Banned

Received 43 Likes on 37 Posts

I would install the GB after the engine gets back in and all has good alignment an that end. Engine alignment is very important and the newly gb will not be aligned when installed, Before any engines ever get pulled did you check the alignment before ?? That should always be done before the engine ever comes out. A step that gets missed by some just saying
Old 06-04-2019, 10:12 AM
Registered

I did not check the alignment before pulling the current gimbal bearing, it is in rough shape. Attached are pictures of the bearing, bearing ring and seal. I'm changing both and was able to drive them out from the inside using my small sledge. I'll install the engine first then check alignment. I am thinking I can get it close without the gimbal bearing installed then check again after it is installed. How would you check the distance that you install the new bearing? Just go until it is seated? I saw that it was about 1" from seal before removing it so I am thinking that there is a certain distance it has to be.
Old 06-04-2019, 10:17 AM
Registered

For some reason it won't let me post photos.
Old 06-04-2019, 10:18 AM
Registered

One more post so I can post pictures! Sorry guys
Old 06-04-2019, 10:19 AM
Registered

Old 06-04-2019, 11:01 AM
Registered

Okay got it figured out, the seal is a little smaller diameter and bottoms out then the bearing goes in and bottoms out.

Thanks for all the help.
Old 06-05-2019, 05:11 AM
Registered

Received 79 Likes on 55 Posts

Yeah , checking alignment prior to pulling engines is important. I will say that you are aligning the engine , the bearing is fixed in the transom assembly. I believe mercury now has a sealed bearing . If you have a greaseable bearing you have to line up the slot in the bearing to the zerk fitting on the outer transom assembly.
Old 06-05-2019, 06:48 AM
Registered

I had to replace 1 motor mount so I figured I would have to re-align anyway. I got her real close last night, plan is to install the gimbal bearing tomorrow when the tool comes in. Any pointers that would make this any easier I'm all ears.