Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > Drives and Lower Units
All American drive service >

All American drive service

Notices

All American drive service

Old 06-30-2022, 10:06 AM
Registered

Received 324 Likes on 174 Posts

My drive builder ordered me a set of the helical X/XZ gears last November. The target delivery date from Merc is this coming October, but that isn't a for sure thing. I was told the straight XR gears are the same story. Not trying to defend AADS but I experienced upper gear set availability issues also.

My drive builder (Mr Gadgets/AKA Dick) ended up piecing me together a set of XR gears he had from stuff lying around and I just got it back last week. The parts issues on gearsets are incredible. 1 year+ to get a set!!!
The following 2 users liked this post by 87MirageIntruder:
abones (06-30-2022), SB (06-30-2022)
Old 06-30-2022, 12:26 PM
Registered

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Finally heard from George. Claims he tried to call me twice yesterday, but my phone never rang nor a voicemail left. Either way. Gears came in for the lower, now waiting on the upper gear set.
not sure I buy that he tried to call but it doesn’t change the outcome either way. I guess I’ll just wait some more.
Old 06-30-2022, 12:31 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by 87MirageIntruder
My drive builder ordered me a set of the helical X/XZ gears last November. The target delivery date from Merc is this coming October, but that isn't a for sure thing. I was told the straight XR gears are the same story. Not trying to defend AADS but I experienced upper gear set availability issues also.

My drive builder (Mr Gadgets/AKA Dick) ended up piecing me together a set of XR gears he had from stuff lying around and I just got it back last week. The parts issues on gearsets are incredible. 1 year+ to get a set!!!
I guess what is most frustrating is the lack of honest timelines. I get part shortages, and also know that people that had parts in stock weren’t affected as bad. Sure there was no planning for Covid and anything that’s happened after, but if he knew parts were back ordered a bit of honesty would have helped.
Old 06-30-2022, 01:15 PM
Registered

Received 239 Likes on 92 Posts

Originally Posted by Unlimited jd
The timelines he promised are inline with Mercury’s ship dates for gear sets that they keep missing and pushing back.
From what i have seen with all repair shops that have no choice but to be hung out to dry in the Mercury supply chain, AADS time line is straight up true. If Mercury tells AADS or any other dealer "we think there will be parts by XYZ date and then Mercury falls short and then pushes out 6 months longer, the service provider is caught in the middle.
I'm willing to bet AADS did not misrepresent anything, But that they were mislead by Mercury!!
Remember Mercury first fills their needs on gears for the new production drives, then next in line are the big parts movers in the food chain, and so on down the line until the smaller (higher Quality) family owned shops MIGHT get a gear set dump of two sets a month! I can't imagine any shop wanting to slow down production on purpose, or lie tp their customer base. In my line of work we have been waiting on multitudes of different parts for over a year with no promise date given.
Sad to say but it could be the new normal if things don't take a drastic change very soon!
Also try to put yourself in any small business shoes these days before passing judgement, I do every time I have a contact with suppliers.
I feel for your loss of use as most of us do, but just think of the lost sales (cash flow) that all these small businesses are facing as well.
sorry for the ramble! And in full disclosure I have dealt with AADS many times and have always had Great service and communication!
The following users liked this post:
Padraig (06-30-2022)
Old 06-30-2022, 01:19 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 3,248 Likes on 1,452 Posts

Originally Posted by spending money
Finally heard from George. Claims he tried to call me twice yesterday, but my phone never rang nor a voicemail left. Either way. Gears came in for the lower, now waiting on the upper gear set.
not sure I buy that he tried to call but it doesn’t change the outcome either way. I guess I’ll just wait some more.
I have a pair of XR lowers for sale, 1 new rebuilt 0 hrs and the other around 25 hrs......if any of this helps out...........agree someone probably called him and told he was getting some bad press on here, good luck
Port 25 (07-28-2022)
Old 06-30-2022, 04:08 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by abones
From what i have seen with all repair shops that have no choice but to be hung out to dry in the Mercury supply chain, AADS time line is straight up true. If Mercury tells AADS or any other dealer "we think there will be parts by XYZ date and then Mercury falls short and then pushes out 6 months longer, the service provider is caught in the middle.
I'm willing to bet AADS did not misrepresent anything, But that they were mislead by Mercury!!
Remember Mercury first fills their needs on gears for the new production drives, then next in line are the big parts movers in the food chain, and so on down the line until the smaller (higher Quality) family owned shops MIGHT get a gear set dump of two sets a month! I can't imagine any shop wanting to slow down production on purpose, or lie tp their customer base. In my line of work we have been waiting on multitudes of different parts for over a year with no promise date given.
Sad to say but it could be the new normal if things don't take a drastic change very soon!
Also try to put yourself in any small business shoes these days before passing judgement, I do every time I have a contact with suppliers.
I feel for your loss of use as most of us do, but just think of the lost sales (cash flow) that all these small businesses are facing as well.
sorry for the ramble! And in full disclosure I have dealt with AADS many times and have always had Great service and communication!
I 100% get what you are saying. I’m caught in the very same issue every day at work. I work for a construction equipment manufacturer, I know all about parts shortages and supply issues. Everyone wants machines now and there isn’t enough parts to build them, I get it. In part that’s why I have been so understanding with George. There also may have been a misunderstanding to begin with. I think I assumed that a company his size advertising performance drive and rebuilds that some parts would be in stock. Especially since that is how he makes money.

like I said I hope this drive holds up. I’m not trying to trash aads, but lack of communication is pretty frustrating. However, if I would have seen this coming I don’t think I would have went this route.
Old 07-02-2022, 11:38 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 886 Likes on 412 Posts

Originally Posted by spending money
I 100% get what you are saying. I’m caught in the very same issue every day at work. I work for a construction equipment manufacturer, I know all about parts shortages and supply issues. Everyone wants machines now and there isn’t enough parts to build them, I get it. In part that’s why I have been so understanding with George. There also may have been a misunderstanding to begin with. I think I assumed that a company his size advertising performance drive and rebuilds that some parts would be in stock. Especially since that is how he makes money.

like I said I hope this drive holds up. I’m not trying to trash aads, but lack of communication is pretty frustrating. However, if I would have seen this coming I don’t think I would have went this route.
Every boater using a bravo in anything with more power than stock should invest in at least one spare drive and spare gear sets as there is ALWAYS a wait to get them, Id buy a used one before I spent a year waiting and missed a season over it. I always took a spare full out done max worx xr bolted in a crate to bed of my truck if I went on a vacation out of state fwiw!
The following 6 users liked this post by articfriends:
87MirageIntruder (07-05-2022), Gimme Fuel (07-05-2022), Griff (07-28-2022), Sonic30ss (07-07-2022), spending money (07-06-2022), TomZ (06-07-2023)
Old 07-28-2022, 01:21 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm 6 months in now, shipped unit in Feb was assured would have it back to me in Apr. Same canned response each time, only one or two jobs in front of mine each time I have called. George hinted at me paying an extra $3K cut in / expedite fee. Asked about getting my unit back and a refund. Assured me will be done 2 to 3 weeks, That was the end of June. He's got my $8K and unit. Note to self!
Old 07-28-2022, 02:46 PM
Registered

Received 23 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Port 25
I'm 6 months in now, shipped unit in Feb was assured would have it back to me in Apr. Same canned response each time, only one or two jobs in front of mine each time I have called. George hinted at me paying an extra $3K cut in / expedite fee. Asked about getting my unit back and a refund. Assured me will be done 2 to 3 weeks, That was the end of June. He's got my $8K and unit. Note to self!

That's bull**** and good information to have. I'll never send them anything.
Port 25 (07-29-2022)
Old 07-28-2022, 06:24 PM
Registered

Received 801 Likes on 378 Posts

Seems to be a recurring theme on here about AADS. Goerge is a good guy…he actually stood behind his warranty when we had an issue too.

with that being said…I think it’s wrong to accept more jobs if you don’t have visibility to parts or have an influx of work. I understand sh!t happens but…negative press is hard to reverse
Port 25 (07-29-2022)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.