Notices

Merctrans II

Old 08-15-2023, 05:16 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Merctrans II

Hi Guys,

Having some issues with my Merctrans II in my Searay. Mercruiser 280 trs gm 350 v-8 1975-1976.
The issue I'm having is its slow to go into forward, goes into reverse right away. Out of the hole, if I give it too much snort, she slips a little. Now I think its getting worst, the oil is a little dark and I have had issues with freezing, burst pipes in the cooling system a couple years back but have flushed the trans twice since then. I will change the oil this weekend but in there any adjustment in the cables that could cause this ???

Any help would be much appreciated
Old 08-19-2023, 08:35 AM
Registered

Received 185 Likes on 138 Posts

The Merctrans holds very little fluid. If it's dark and burnt a bit...change it.

I have the 280 TRS as well...good SBC package.

Once the clutch plates get overheated...they steels can get warped, and cause more slipping.

You should have the cable not electric shift.

They are sensitive to proper shift linkage engagement. Try pulling off the cable on the trans, and make sure you are getting the full travel. Cable adjustment is to make sure it gets engaged to the max amount.

The 2 issues...slow to engage and slipping, may not be linked.

If you don't have enough ATF pressure, the plates will slip...if they are already worn....they'll slip with higher tq.

Make sure your cooler is working well, and plumb the raw water out of the cooler...to a fitting direct out of the hull. This ensures proper raw water volume through the simple copper U tubing.

Last edited by Tartilla; 08-19-2023 at 09:02 AM.