Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > Drives and Lower Units
Dangers of worn gimbal and helmet? >

Dangers of worn gimbal and helmet?

Notices

Dangers of worn gimbal and helmet?

Old 09-09-2023, 01:50 PM
Registered

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Dangers of worn gimbal and helmet?

A friend asked that I help him replace bellows and shift cable etc. It was partially apart when we started. Bolted the drive back on and WTF, there is a gap between the drive bell housing (helmet) and gimbal ring. You can actually move the helmet side to side and see the motion. Maybe 20 to 30 thou on each side. Gimball has slop in the steering as well. Myself, I would not run it but I wonder about the dangers of it coming apart, cracking etc. Have poorly maintained items like that ever actually failed? I have seen many old azz B1 with a lot of slop but not one this bad and in as many places, usually it is just the steering slop. I know it is subjective without a hands on view but trust me when I say a lot of slop in everything. I cannot determine if the helmet wore, gimball side to side or both. This is the surface where the hinge pins pass through. He thought about putting an extra washer in there to take up some space. That would stop the rocking and side to side play somewhat, but still, it looks like carnage in process.

23 ish Caravelle Interceptor with mild 454.

Is this dangerous or just bad worn out?

Old 09-09-2023, 05:36 PM
Registered

Received 477 Likes on 372 Posts

Be good to know the serial number but the side to side issue might be worn or missing washers (item 2)
https://www.mercruiserparts.com/bam/...30967/1943/180
Old 09-10-2023, 07:33 AM
Registered

I did see that but he said that it has not been apart before. There is a washer in there but it sits in a machined relief like this-
https://www.mercruiserparts.com/bam/...30982/11296/90
Unknown history, I wonder if it was put together from mixed and matched parts? I wonder which part is smaller in size when the washer is used? Either way this thing is sloppy loose at upper swivel pin. I believe a washer could be made or sourced to eliminate the side to side play. My concern is if something will fail with a lot of slop at the upper swivel pin.
Old 09-10-2023, 09:27 AM
Registered

Received 941 Likes on 343 Posts

you are probably missing #4 on this page. they are fiber and will break and come out when they are old enough
https://www.mercruiserparts.com/bam/...30967/1943/170
The following users liked this post:
Wildman_grafix (09-11-2023)
Old 09-10-2023, 10:02 AM
Registered

Received 171 Likes on 106 Posts

Your concern for the swivel pin is genuine. Can make for an ill handling boat. Could be a loose bolt, bad bushings, or worn gimble ring due to the clamp bolt being loose. If it's that sloppy the gimble ring will probably be cracked near the lower wear pad on one side or the other. If it's cracked it's junk. You may have to strip the paint out of the corners to see the crack(s). If it's only worn at the top it can be welded and re machined. Either way get the good swivel pin kit from RJ Marine in Fairfield, Ohio. They can also repair the gimble ring if it's not cracked along with having decent prices on new rings.
Old 09-11-2023, 06:25 AM
Registered

So part #4 on this diagram-
https://www.mercruiserparts.com/bam/...30982/11296/80
goes between the bell housing and gimbal ring on the hinge pin? Seems it should have been shown in the bell housing diagram if that is the case. That part is not presently installed and was not there when it came apart. That washer is fiber or something?

I do not see the on for plastic rub pad that goes on the inside of the gimbal ring and engages the driveshaft housing when trimmed down, perhaps since his are missing that could allow the drive to twist a bit more and wear things.

Last edited by BadDog; 09-11-2023 at 06:39 AM.
Old 09-11-2023, 08:02 AM
Registered

Received 941 Likes on 343 Posts

yes #4 is a thin fiber washer with adhesive on one side to hold it. they get old and break and fall out if there is enough wear. the plastic wear pads go on the drive itself, not sure what diagram they are on as mercury likes to mix and match diagrams.
Old 09-11-2023, 09:27 AM
Registered

Received 1,421 Likes on 793 Posts

What he said^^^^^^^

Pretty common and a easy fix.
Old 09-11-2023, 01:29 PM
Registered

Received 526 Likes on 313 Posts

Originally Posted by Smitty275
Either way get the good swivel pin kit from RJ Marine in Fairfield, Ohio.
Hold on!
Any gimbal repair or pin kit, he needs J-R Marine in Eastlake, Ohio.

There is an RJ Marine in Fairfield. Run far away from that place!
Old 09-12-2023, 06:10 AM
Registered

Passed along info to the boat owner, thanks for the info guys!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.