Bravo1 Delay in Shifting

Notices

Bravo1 Delay in Shifting

Old 07-09-2024, 08:03 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 1,345 Likes on 734 Posts

Originally Posted by Rookie
The drive has 23 years on this rebuild and 350 hours Procharged. Is an upgrade really gaining you anything?
Roots or Whipple I could justify it.
Just thinking out loud...
Rookie,

I don’t believe the drive has ever been apart. The boat has ~350hrs, alongside the drive, the entirety has been with the ProCharger. As far as I know, it was a factory build from PQ. I agree on the lack of real potency on the ProCharger. It’s very likely the only reason the drive has not already scattered. Had it been a real supercharger, it undoubtedly would have. In reality, the boat would have most likely been built with a more stout drive if they had built it with a positive displacement blower, rather than centrifugal. All that said….

If I’m going to replace the gears while it’s apart, I’m going to replace them with stronger gears. We occasionally do a hard holeshot with this boat, pulling my fat azz out on a slalom. I really don’t want it to scatter because I chose to save a couple bucks on an semi-expensive repair.

For now, going to make an adjustment to the shifter cables and see if it holds me off until after fall.

Thanks. Brad.
Old 07-09-2024, 08:06 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Originally Posted by seafordguy
Make sure it’s adjusted properly before you open the drive up. Not saying it couldn’t be internal just worth spending 5 bucks on EBay on an adjustment tool. The upper one I bought off eBay, the lower one I just cut a slit in a Sherwin Williams paint stirrer and have used it a bunch of times (unfortunately). Cables DEFINITELY stretch….
SeafordGuy,

I have one en route from Amazon. I figure if the guy at CP marine suggests a $0 fix before plunking down $2900 on a parts kit from them, it’s worth a bit of tinkering to see if that gets it done.

Thanks. Brad.
Old 07-09-2024, 08:26 PM
Registered

Received 31 Likes on 16 Posts

If you are looking to fix shifting issues to get through the season, you can pull the cone clutch out and deglaze it with like 320 grit wet dry paper and the mating race on the the upper gear set, lap them with compound, or ive known a local marina to lightly glass bead the clutch and gear race but I never have. I would flip the cone clutch and get valve lapping compound and lap them till the glaze is gone and bang it back together. Should be fine for the season possibly longer depending on actual wear.
Old 07-11-2024, 11:59 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Guys,

So, I got the adjustment tool yesterday (it's more of a gauge, but whatever....), and got around to tinkering with it this morning. I found that the throw was all but 1/4" shy of ideal in forward, and ~3/16" in reverse. It took me a while of tinkering to figure out the adjustment at hand is on the cable going to the drive, not coming from the shifter. In my initial lack of grasp, thinking I was completely out of adjustment on the attachment point to the bellcrank arm, I removed the arm from the shifter plate, set it up on the mill, and elongated the slot. Just prior to reassembling is when I discovered I was looking at it all wrong, and that I had a TON of adjustment I could take up.

It is now just about perfect, as per the gauge. Going out tomorrow with hopes of the issue being resolved.... For now. News at eleven.....

Thanks. Brad.
Old 07-12-2024, 10:06 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Guys,

Pretty sure the shift plate linkage adjustments corrected the issue. This isn’t to say the cone clutch isn’t wearing, but it shifts very positively now. I think we’re going to have the drive looked at over the winter, but I think we’re good till fall now.

Thanks. Brad.
The following 3 users liked this post by Brad Christy:
105Fountain (07-13-2024), Griff (07-13-2024), larose481 (07-17-2024)