Heat oil smell and whining sound

Notices

Heat oil smell and whining sound

Old 07-27-2024, 09:34 PM
Registered

Received 30 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Heat oil smell and whining sound

Hello,

I have a 05 496 ho with 600 hours. After patiently waiting I finally got my boat back from my dealer. When I got home I noticed in by the outdrive a strong smell of gear oil. Since they changed the gear oil I figured this was normal.

I went for a ride today and stopped at the beach and noticed the same smell in the cabin. Sitting on my boat now and I can’t say I smell it and the oil is at the same level.

On to my question. When driving to the dock I noticed a whining sound, kind of like a supercharger. Not real loud. It’s the same sound sterndrives make when I hear them accelerating. I realize this isn’t the best description but is there anything I can check? Is this normal or shoul I stop driving and have the dealer look at it?

Thank you
Old Yesterday, 06:22 AM
Registered

Received 477 Likes on 372 Posts

You shouldn't smell gear oil, check your bilge
The whining might be the fuel pump, does it make similar sound when the key is first turned ON before start?
Old Yesterday, 06:35 AM
Registered

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts

Did you check the gear oil reservoir to make sure it is still filled to the correct level. In researching an issue, someone more experienced than me suggested that the drives can have an air bubble or burp and then more gear lube needed to be added.
Old Yesterday, 08:14 AM
Registered

Hello,

the level of the gear oil hasnt changed, a little over half full. The sound of the fuel pumps is different from what I’m hearing.

thank you for replying. I’m really stuck on what I should do. I’m also having a problem with the idle that the dealer was supposed to look at.
Old Yesterday, 10:17 AM
Registered

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts

It’s frustrating when you can’t pinpoint the issue. I think most of the people on here do their own work. Like you, I am depending on a marina. It took me three requests to get the IAC replaced at one place. I’ve since moved on. That same marina when I had a leak in the steering ram suggested putting Lucas Stop leak in. Fortunately , I asked a bunch of people who emphatically said no don’t let them do that it will ruin the system. So, that was why I suggested just checking on them and the level of gear oil. Nothing surprises me at this point.
Old Yesterday, 10:25 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 3,171 Likes on 1,414 Posts

What did the dealership do besides gear oil change anything ?
Old Yesterday, 10:49 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by TICafeRacer
It’s frustrating when you can’t pinpoint the issue. I think most of the people on here do their own work. Like you, I am depending on a marina. It took me three requests to get the IAC replaced at one place. I’ve since moved on. That same marina when I had a leak in the steering ram suggested putting Lucas Stop leak in. Fortunately , I asked a bunch of people who emphatically said no don’t let them do that it will ruin the system. So, that was why I suggested just checking on them and the level of gear oil. Nothing surprises me at this point.

They did some work on the bottom to fix some scratches, but nothing with the engine. I told them about the idle, they said they ran the motor and everything seemed good. I just put in new plugs and checked the fuel filter nothing is clogged. I had ordered new filter but it didn’t show up in time.

im going to go for a ride and see if I can video the noise I’m having
Old Yesterday, 11:06 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 3,171 Likes on 1,414 Posts

If they used a different gear oil than what was in it the noise you hear could be the gear set in the drive
The following users liked this post:
TICafeRacer (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday, 11:54 AM
Registered

Hello,

Much cooler today and I don’t hear it. I did the best I could with the videos
Old Yesterday, 12:30 PM
Registered

Received 27 Likes on 11 Posts

I’m gonna through this out here but does this gear noise change when you steer left to right? I’ve had a power steering pump make a growl sound before it died.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.