Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > Drives and Lower Units
Mercruiser 383 to Volvo 280T bellhousing? >

Mercruiser 383 to Volvo 280T bellhousing?

Notices

Mercruiser 383 to Volvo 280T bellhousing?

Old Yesterday, 12:11 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mercruiser 383 to Volvo 280T bellhousing?

Posted on another site but no response, hoping for help here. Some years ago I bought a 1976 Donzi 18 2+3 with Volvo 280T drive. The 350 SBC was long gone but I did get the chevy bellhousing, flywheel, motor mounts, and triangular splined vibration damper coupler to primary outdrive shaft, as well as entire drive (still in boat). Fast forward and I have acquired a low hours 2015 Mercruiser Mag 383 complete (minus drive and bell housing). I had assumed I could use the original 350 Volvo bell housing and splined coupler but the new 383 flywheel is larger in diameter and the old bell housing is too small and the coupler doesn't bolt to the 383 fly wheel. QUESTIONS? 1. Did Volvo make a bell housing to accommodate the newer motors and bolt to the 280T primary shaft housing? 2. Would the Mercruiser bell housing and coupler bolt to the 280T primary shaft housing? I'd like to keep my 280T drive if possible as I like the original left hand helm, teleflex controls, and I have a lot of left hand props. If (painfully) your going to tell me go alpha/bravo what specifically would you suggest ? Thanks in advance for your help and knowledge.
Old Yesterday, 12:26 PM
Offshoreonly Advertiser
Offshoreonly Advertiser

Received 166 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by jkrobb2001
Posted on another site but no response, hoping for help here. Some years ago I bought a 1976 Donzi 18 2+3 with Volvo 280T drive. The 350 SBC was long gone but I did get the chevy bellhousing, flywheel, motor mounts, and triangular splined vibration damper coupler to primary outdrive shaft, as well as entire drive (still in boat). Fast forward and I have acquired a low hours 2015 Mercruiser Mag 383 complete (minus drive and bell housing). I had assumed I could use the original 350 Volvo bell housing and splined coupler but the new 383 flywheel is larger in diameter and the old bell housing is too small and the coupler doesn't bolt to the 383 fly wheel. QUESTIONS? 1. Did Volvo make a bell housing to accommodate the newer motors and bolt to the 280T primary shaft housing? 2. Would the Mercruiser bell housing and coupler bolt to the 280T primary shaft housing? I'd like to keep my 280T drive if possible as I like the original left hand helm, teleflex controls, and I have a lot of left hand props. If (painfully) your going to tell me go alpha/bravo what specifically would you suggest ? Thanks in advance for your help and knowledge.
Is the flywheel housing separate from and intermediate housing that connects to the transom?

Can you post a pic of what you have?
Old Yesterday, 06:38 PM
Registered

I apologize , it says I can't upload pictures till I have 10 posts. I tried. Basically I need a bigger bell housing and flywheel coupler. Did Volvo make one or will the mercruiser bell housing ( I'd need to get one), bolt to the Volvo 280t primary shaft housing?
Old Yesterday, 08:03 PM
Offshoreonly Advertiser
Offshoreonly Advertiser

Received 166 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by jkrobb2001
I apologize , it says I can't upload pictures till I have 10 posts. I tried. Basically I need a bigger bell housing and flywheel coupler. Did Volvo make one or will the mercruiser bell housing ( I'd need to get one), bolt to the Volvo 280t primary shaft housing?
If your primary shaft housing is separate from the flywheel housing should not be a problem. That is a standard Velvet Drive bolt pattern and the drive plate is same as a Velvet Drive spline.
Old Yesterday, 08:46 PM
Registered

Thanks, I have a old TRS velvet drive housing from a 454. I'll try that👍